Taking an gravity reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deuce40

Reaction score
So I started my first cider about 5days ago and I guess I really didn't think it though all the way. I'm only doing a one gallon batch of this stuff and really don't want to waste to much of it taking gravity readings. How long does it usually take to get to finally gravity. I'm using an English ale yeast .

So I started my first cider about 5days ago and I guess I really didn't think it though all the way. I'm only doing a one gallon batch of this stuff and really don't want to waste to much of it taking gravity readings. How long does it usually take to get to finally gravity. I'm using an English ale yeast .
Why would it be wasted? As long as your hydrometer, wine thief or turkey baster, and testing vail are sanitized prior to use, pour the cider back into the fermenter when done.

I'm always scared to do that but if its been done with success ill do it. How long does it normally take to finish up usually so I won't have to take as many samples. Two weeks sound normal

I'm always scared to do that but if its been done with success ill do it. How long does it normally take to finish up usually so I won't have to take as many samples. Two weeks sound normal

Probably. What temperature are you fermenting at?

It's at room temp right now I'm Orlando Florida with the coldest temps we've had all year, (lows of 55 f) It's been around 65 - 70 in the house. We don't like using the heat.

At those temps, the bulk of the fermentation will probably be done in 2 weeks. You will still probably have some residual sugars though. I can never get mine to drop below 1.010 in 2 weeks with Ale Yeast. (but my temps are usually in the low 60s to upper 50s)

I wouldn't even take a reading until after 2 weeks. If you are just going to drink it still, (one gallon) just rack to a clean container and pop it in the fridge. The left over sugars make a nice sweet-ish cider. To bottle it, you will definitely have to pull a sample to see where the gravity is.

Back