taking a gravity reading?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

My first batch has been in the fermenter since sunday, my fermenter is a 6gal bucket with a spigot, lid and airlock. Ii is still bubbling in the airlock, althought it has slowed quite a bit. I was just curious, would it be ok to take some of the beer out through the spigot to take a gravity reading? If so, anything I should watch out for? Noob question of course.

Thanks

SSB

If you drain from the spigot it will draw air in throught the air lock and take in the water or what ever you have in the air lock!!!!

I guess if you want to do it that way, break the seal on the lid (or remove the airlock). The air that gets in shouldn't get past the CO2 on top of the beer.

That's my way of looking at it anyway.

good call, orfy. just pop the airlock out, draw the sample from the spigot, and then put the airlock back in. should be OK.

-walker

My suggestion would be don't do this. Reason being that you will get some beer residue in your tap which could get infected and then be transferred to your beer later. You can either use a thief/turkey baster to extract some from the top and test your gravity in a tube, or what I do is just take a gravity reading straight from the bucket with my sanitized hydrometer.

I pull the airlock and sample through the tap. Before I transfer to the keg/secondary, I'll clean the tap. A nipple brush works very well. [as in baby bottle nipple brush]

Ok, took a reading, used a turkey baster. If I did it right I got 1.018 (corrected for temp). Is this anywhere near correct for a batch that was born on Sunday? Just curious.

I also couldn't resist "sampling" my sample. Other than being dead flat, and having a slightly medicine smell/taste, it wasn't too horrible. I was surprised. As a matter of fact, I poured it into a glass and set it on the counter next to the Dos Equis I was drinking tonight (also in a glass), the color was almost identical. So far, so good.

Sorry to ramble, just happy with my results so far.

SSB

Thanks DeRoux,

Have to correct above post. Reading was 1.018, when correct to temp it is 1.021. Sound right??

SSB

sounds right. i'd let it sit for another day or two. i don't even check my SG anymore. i use a 6.5 g glass carboy for primary so i can see the activity, and let it sit a day or two after it's finished, then rack to secondary for conditioning and clearing.

what's the brew?

Back