Take A Quick Look, Please...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHBWNY

Reaction score
Just opened this Belgian Wit after 10 days in ferm and found this. It initially smelled very "eggy" (as wheat beers tend to), but once I skimmed off the surface, the beer itself looks and tastes (and smells) fine. FG was 1.010 (OG 1.042), target FG is 1.009. Is there a possibility it wasn't done fermenting?

Or do I have an inf--- ... an infe--- ... I CAN'T SAY IT!!! GO AHEAD! GIVE ME THE BAD NEWS! I CAN TAKE IT!!!

Either way, I racked it to a carboy on top of apricot and stuck the airlock back in and I'll let it sit for a couple weeks. Hoping it just needs to finish out. Just never had a beer that looked like this at this point.

Picture1117151931_1.jpg

looks fine to me...like it wasn't 100% done fermenting. No big deal though as the fruit should send it into a secondary fermentation cycle anyway.

Or do I have an inf--- ... an infe--- ... I CAN'T SAY IT!!! GO AHEAD! GIVE ME THE BAD NEWS! I CAN TAKE IT!!!

YOU CAN'T STAND THE TRUTH. Everyday we stand on the wall and ........

Oh ......... we are talking about beer. You are fine. Nothing wrong with that.

If that is a typical 6.5 gallon fermenter then it's filled very hgih. The krausen looks to have risen above the edge of the bucket.

Ya, it's yeast rafts and CO2 bubbles. Don't worry about it.

I'd let it go another week.

Yup, just krausen as it finishes up. Infections look like slimy white bubbles, then sprout webs, then grow fur...then eventually become self-aware...:mug:

If that is a typical 6.5 gallon fermenter then it's filled very hgih. The krausen looks to have risen above the edge of the bucket.

Ya, it's yeast rafts and CO2 bubbles. Don't worry about it.

I'd let it go another week.

Sorry, what looks like the top of the bucket in the previous pic is the moulding in the plastic a couple inches below the top. Here's another shot:

Picture1117151927_1.jpg

Last night I pureed a mix of three 15 oz. cans of well-rinsed apricots, 1/2 C. water and 1/4 C. honey. Heated it to 180F and added the hot puree slowly to the beer as it was racking to the carboy so as to not stress the glass.

So, here's a question --- not attempting to start a "Primary vs. Secondary" dispute:

When first I popped the lid on the bucket, I did so presuming that after 10 days fermentation was done. Airlock activity had stopped for a couple days and it was close to target FG. But are yeast rafts and the kraussen not having dropped an indication that fermentation was still going on? Even while I was racking, little yeasties were spiraling their way to the surface. This morning a new, healthy layer of kraussen had formed in the carboy and the beer was once again perking away happily. So, *if* primary ferm technically wasn't done, is what's going on in the carboy simply a continuation of that? Or has the addition of the fruit technically created a whole new secondary fermentation?

Back