Take a look at my first starter please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Another stoopid newbie question
Does my starter look normal? I have had it there since Friday night and I'm brewing today so I need to pitch somewhere between 5 and 6pm.

I noticed the bottom was a bit dark.

If all systems are a go what do I do? Stir it up and pitch it in?

thanks!

IMG_1967.jpg

IMG_1969.jpg

That"s a good looking starter. I would decant almost all the starter beer before pitching (just gently pour it off). Shake up what you have left to suspend the cells and pitch. FWIW that looks like a ton of yeast. How big is your batch?

5.25 gal batch

Pale Ale extract.

I wasn't sure since this is my 3rd big batch (I brewed a couple of 1 gal)

supposed to come it at 1.052

Wyeast 1052. btw I think the picture may make it seem bigger that what it ts lol. It's like a pinky finger think down there.:ban:

Cant wait to brew!

Thanks guys!

Most people say screw the airlock and just cover the top with some foil... mostly to promote more gas exchange. The more O2 you provide, the more yeast cells you get.

Wow, that is a thing of beauty! Is it weird if I want to taste it?

Almost bought one of those jugs at the LHBS today, but decided I'd just use an old Mississippi Mud jug instead.

Wow, that is a thing of beauty! Is it weird if I want to taste it?

Almost bought one of those jugs at the LHBS today, but decided I'd just use an old Mississippi Mud jug instead.

I only bought it because it was 3 bucks! If I had a mug around I probably wouldn't have though.

Latest posts

Back