T-58 Yeast shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRock_54

Reaction score
I used some T-58 Belgian yeast just a couple weeks ago and then had some left over. After wrapping it up and putting in tupper wear and putting in the fridge, how long will this yeast last?

I used some T-58 Belgian yeast just a couple weeks ago and then had some left over. After wrapping it up and putting in tupper wear and putting in the fridge, how long will this yeast last?

The yeast itself will be viable for a few weeks at least. But consider the consequences. You're really talking about a yeast that sells for $1.75-$2.50. You have half of it, so maybe $1-$1.25 worth of yeast. It's really easy to get unwanted bugs in your yeast having it sit in a tupperware. Is it worth risking a batch of beer to save $1 in yeast?

I like your way of thinking. Since I got you on this subject how about Hops? Got Styrian hops stored the same way. Should I just throw it away? I'm not too worried about it cause I figure got to use it during the boil.

I like your way of thinking. Since I got you on this subject how about Hops? Got Styrian hops stored the same way. Should I just throw it away? I'm not too worried about it cause I figure got to use it during the boil.

The hops will be fine. You could use the yeast for bread.

Back