T-58 in Munich Smash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drchris83

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a Munich/Saaz or Spalt Select SMaSH. Since I've never used the T-58 before, I wondered what your thoughts were on using it in that ale? Alternatively, I'd use S-04.

I'm planning on doing a Munich/Saaz or Spalt Select SMaSH. Since I've never used the T-58 before, I wondered what your thoughts were on using it in that ale? Alternatively, I'd use S-04.

Sounds awful. Not a fan of this yeast.

I like T-58, but maybe I'm in the minority. Gives a nice peppery/phenolic beer with a little fruit as well. It might not work too well in the SMASH you're planning if you want to test out what the taste of the Munich, Saaz, or Spalt Select are like, but if you don't mind a mixture of flavors it would work just fine. S-04 would probably get out of the way of the malt and hops better than T-58 would.
FWIW, S-04 has lots of haters around here as well.

I can't comment on the smash portion of the recipe, but I do really like t-58.

One thing to keep in mind is with an all malt recipe, you can count on 70-75% attenuation with very light yeast flavor. With 10-20% simple sugars, however, you can expect attenuation of >80% with more apparent yeast flavor.

Mike37 said:
I can't comment on the smash portion of the recipe, but I do really like t-58.

One thing to keep in mind is with an all malt recipe, you can count on 70-75% attenuation with very light yeast flavor. With 10-20% simple sugars, however, you can expect attenuation of >80% with more apparent yeast flavor.

Hmm, that does sound like a good use for some muscovado I have sitting around.
On the other hand, I don't think low attenuation is necessarily a bad thing - the word "drinkability" has been associated with with beers severely lackimg in mouthfeel, and these are usually highly attenuated. I gotta think about this some more.

On a related note, do you have any opinion on using the T-58 in high-grav brews? I was thinking along the lines of a Xmas quadrupel that will have to be brewed some time soon (high attenuation being of course necessary in such a brew).

I love T-58 as well. If you keep the temp down 60-65 you will get a more phonelic beer. Not out of control bet definitely spicy with a bit of that Belgian character. Get the temp up around 68-74 and the Fruit starts coming out along with the phenols. I use this yeast for my Wit's and it is great.

I made a "Belgian" bitter with 93% Optic Malt and 7% British II crystal, used 4 Southern Hemi hops (Pacific Gem, Pacific Jade, Helga and Moteuka) and the T-58. The beer was so uniquely fantastic. I pitched at 62 held it there for around 72hrs then let it rise up to 68 to finish and the profile was just great.

drchris83 said:
Hmm, that does sound like a good use for some muscovado I have sitting around.
On the other hand, I don't think low attenuation is necessarily a bad thing - the word "drinkability" has been associated with with beers severely lackimg in mouthfeel, and these are usually highly attenuated. I gotta think about this some more.

On a related note, do you have any opinion on using the T-58 in high-grav brews? I was thinking along the lines of a Xmas quadrupel that will have to be brewed some time soon (high attenuation being of course necessary in such a brew).

I think it's great for high gravity. Just remember to give it that sugar. I'd say don't be afraid to use about 15% as long as you have time to let it age.

Back