T-58 experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyobrew22

Reaction score
I wanted to post/ask about my experience using T-58 on my most recent batch. I made a Belgian pale with this yeast on 2/26, beer was in the fermenter at 7pm. I undershot my numbers due to a top up from trub loss 1.046 expected vs. 1.044 actual, chilled to 65 degrees and aerated with my aquarium pump rig. I rehydrated the yeast first in a 1/2 cup of boiled and cooled water for 15 minutes then added 1 cup of chilled wort and let it sit for a half hour before pitching, there was visible churning in the fermenter within 2 hours, vigorous fermentation evident by very early the next morning. 60 hours later on the morning of 3/1 the beer was showing zero fermentation activity so I took a gravity sample knowing t-58 has a tendency to stall. It's sitting at 1.009 already? Seems really fast but this is also a fairly light beer with calculated ABV at 4.78% Wanted to post this here and gather others experiences with this yeast.

Yep definitely a Belgian yeast will give lots of clove and spicy notes. Have a bunch of it from some Belgian kits I bought. Found 50/50 Nottingham/T-58 gives a nice balance to tone down the spices a bit if it's too much.

Although not on par with liquid yeast, T-58 does make good beer. I have used it intensively and I am always happy with the results.

It ferments fast and likes high temperatures ( you need to ferment it way higher than 60-65F and let it finish at around 74-75F - my own experience and taste ). I never had it stall and always get high attenuation with it, something between 75 and 80%, especially when using sugar and mashing low. It is powdery, but when bottled, it will settle at the bottom and actually make pretty beer, provided you leave the bottom layer in the bottle.

It is peppery and spicy and the fruit esters are basically non-existent, but it smells amazing when it ferments.

I like T-58 and use it every couple months. I have my best luck pitching at 68 degrees and letting it free rise to about 75 degrees. Not at all uncommon for it to work quickly. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't floc well. It takes FOREVER to get clear beer unless you hit it with gelatin.

@the haze
What makes you say it’s not on par with liquid yeast? Do you have any quantifiable evidence to back this, or just your opinion?

It's just my opinion from the batches I made with it. It's powdery ( not an issue, especially if you do not mind hazy beer ) and the ester profile is lacking, whereas the phenolic one is much more pronounced and not as complex.

But as I said before, I am very happy with the beers I've made with it. I will most certainly use it again this summer. At the moment, I have planned two belgians using Danstar Abbaye: a Belgian IPA and a simple Belgian Pale Ale, as I have never used this yeast before. My thoughts are to mix these two dry yeasts and maybe get a better ester and phenolic profile, in future brews.

But I will first have to use Danstar Abbaye for a few batches, to get to know it and see if I like it.

Latest posts

Back