Syringe for Injecting Gelatin into keg...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HopsAreGood

Reaction score
Imo you are over thinking here :)
Syringes leave nearly nothing behind...

Cheers!
Hopefully! I guess I’m just concerned about what the consistency of the mixture will be like. The dry yeast may make it kind of sticky/muddy. I’m going to give it a try and I’ll report back.

NGD

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Assuming nobody had ever had any gelatin gunk up the spring in the gas post and/or find itself in the gas lines themselves with this method?
I’ve had this happen before but it certainly was a outlier of the two dozen times or so I’ve used gelatin. Thankfully I haven't had it happen since. The syringe method might be my new go-to.

A piece of jello plugged up the poppet on the out post. Best part was when I took off the ball lock I had two thin fountains of mosaic IPA shooting out until I released enough pressure. Thankfully the dogs helped with cleanup.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
So you are carbonating the beer then clarifying it? That's interesting; I've used gelatin before but it was always before carbonating.
Ive added gelating to key before as well. Adding gelatin at any time will help clarification. And post fermentation the EtOH helps protect beer a bit.

eric19312

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt if you need the CBC-1 either. There will be plenty of whatever yeast you started with in the keg for the natural carbonation.

Bennysthe1

Reaction score
no pics, but what i do is use a 6oz soda bottle, a little bitty one. basically you put your liquid in the bottle, squeeze it until the liquid hits the rim of the bottle, and then screw on a carbonation cap. zero air in your system. blast that sucker to like 30-40psi. you want a decent amount of head space in bottle when its gassed up to propel the liquid.

then it goes bottle+ carb cap to my injection rig is which is liquid qd--> tiny piece of 1/4 tubing over both barbs<-- gas qd on the keg.

purge your rig with co2, then connect the bottle, then lastly connect to keg gas post. blam. liquid is in, nothing coming out. works for biofine/gelatine, adding more gypsum/chloride/salt/acid/hop tea/etc. when needed.
Hey mate. This is what I do as well with a t-piece and 2 carb caps but I've found that it cloggs up and just stops injecting. I'll stop at 20 odd psi cause the bottle feels bloody hard. Have you had any issues? maybe I have a dodgy cap or maybe I'm trying to inject too thick.

Attachments

Reaction score
Timing counts, of course - don't plug the QD on the keg then make a phone call ;) Have the syringe(s) loaded and ready to go, pop the PRV once, plug on the QD, and go to town...
Conflicting advice here. Don't make a phone call but do go to town. What if town is a half hour away and has two taverns?

Conehead

Reaction score
I add gelatin to my keg just after sanitizing them. Purge with C02 and do a closed transfer. I realize the beer is room temp, but it does clear the beer in a week.

SanPancho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey mate. This is what I do as well with a t-piece and 2 carb caps but I've found that it cloggs up and just stops injecting. I'll stop at 20 odd psi cause the bottle feels bloody hard. Have you had any issues? maybe I have a dodgy cap or maybe I'm trying to inject too thick.
im not exactly sure what is happening there, but you shouldnt have gas to the bottle when you push it in. looks like you have the bottle connected to the gas tank. that's going to pressurize the bottle AND the keg. with no pressure differential you wont force the solution down into the keg. in theory the solution should eventually drain into the keg via gravity, but you're dealing with small openings, high pressure in the keg, maybe some foam, etc.

prep your bottle, pressurize it, then you connect it to the keg-- on its own. the force to push the solution comes from the pressure inside the bottle being higher than the kegs pressure. once you put the co2 line on your tee you make the whole thing into one system that has the same pressure. doesnt work.

try again without the bottle connected to a gas line.

Biggz1313

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
im not exactly sure what is happening there, but you shouldnt have gas to the bottle when you push it in. looks like you have the bottle connected to the gas tank. that's going to pressurize the bottle AND the keg. with no pressure differential you wont force the solution down into the keg. in theory the solution should eventually drain into the keg via gravity, but you're dealing with small openings, high pressure in the keg, maybe some foam, etc.

prep your bottle, pressurize it, then you connect it to the keg-- on its own. the force to push the solution comes from the pressure inside the bottle being higher than the kegs pressure. once you put the co2 line on your tee you make the whole thing into one system that has the same pressure. doesnt work.

try again without the bottle connected to a gas line.
@Bennysthe1 what @SanPancho said is what I do. I just use a single carbonation cap on a 20oz PET bottle. I put my gelatin solution in the bottle, put the single carbonation cap on, pressurize it to like 20psi. I then take gas off my keg, pull PRV to make pressure zero in keg, then turn the 20oz bottle upside down and connect to gas post on the get. The higher pressure in the bottle shoots the gelatin solution into the keg. I then reattach my gas to the keg and let it sit 24-48n hours. Works like a charm.