SYL-2352 Auto-tune still going after 24 hrs...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hi,

I did a brew over the weekend and during the mash-in I noticed that the PID was under 8F, luckily wasn't above... I was brewing a belgian and mashed at 144F.

Anyhow once I adjusted thru the rest of the day all went fine. The next day, yday, I decided start an auto-tune. Fill the tank with 14gals of water at 54F (tap) and set the At to 3.

24+hrs later, still goes. the temp at 187-188F and not sure what's going on. is not set on manual for sure. the second lined cycles thru various automatic power levels. I saw A 0, A 20, etc... it varies. The temperature matches correctly, I used a precised external thermometer.

I started searching but didn't find anything. I thought this will stop automatically after few hours... I might have to stop it.

@kal mentioned once that auto-tuning should be started at 10F below and average mashing temp (152-154F)

Anyone wants to chime in ?I am thinking to stop it, and redo it.

Ps.
I am not recirculating. Should I recirculate during the tuning ? When I mash-in I do use a HERMs and recirculate so technically I am going to answer my own question here. I should recirculate when I tune.

this might have been an user error. darn it! :)

So my PID was set at 187, that's what I had it for mashout strike water. And probably the tuning was done but because the element would kick in as before I assumed it didn't finish...

Dropping the temp to 140F, set on recirculation and will redo the tuning.

I ended up reviewing all the settings. I am taking over the Pb value. It's now set to -5.5.
It's close to a match. I don't know what else to do.... So I think I am good for now ?!

Yes. You have to recirculate.

Autotune will never work if you don't.

Back