SWMBO vs. Thermostat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wigstr

Reaction score
So I get home from a 4 year old's birthday party (beat down session at the paint yer pottery place) sit in my big chair and flip on the game. Start thinking to myself... "Man its cold in here" Get up to check the thermostat and its 58 degrees in my house. Normally not an issue....

But I have an Dry Stout in the primary in my office/LHBS... The primary temp made it down to 61-62 before I could get the heater on rolling.... NIF

ME: "You could have killed it"
SWMBO: "Killed what? its not like it is alive"
ME: "(thought about explaining the way of the yeast, and how important its job is right now)... Whats for dinner?"

Sounds like it's time to start looking for plans for a fermentation chamber. If you really like doing electrical/electronics work you can get it to heat and cool in the same box!

I think in a calm moment I might explain to SWMBO a little about yeast... and then I'd get to work on that ferm chamber because, well, it's another piece of equipment to make and use!

Ferm Chamber is a must... I have a habit of drinking all my "extra money" ---time to draw a line in the sand.

As for SWMBO it is cheaper to keep her.

Well, remember that an active fermentation adds heat, so the fermentation temperature is hotter than the ambient. Most ale yeasts work fine (arguably better) a little on the cooler side. If you're that worried, get yourself a $20 brew belt heater; that's a cheaper option than heating the whole house!

Ferm. was still going well I am not worried about it. It was just funny to hear her say "Its not like its alive"

Back