SWMBO Rocks.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShortSnoutBrewing

Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
Reaction score
My birthday was a few weeks ago and SWMBO has been itching to get me a bike. I've been hesitant basically based on how much these things cost. But with gas prices busting through the roof and the weather starting to turn for the better here in Portland I decided it was time. We went for our first ride yesterday and had a blast...

Here she is (not SWMBO):
BBike002.jpg

Kilted Brewer said:
... and the weather starting to turn for the better here in Portland...(not SWMBO):
Would that weather you're referring to be going from rainy and damned cold to just rainy and cold, followed by rainy and cool this summer?

Nice bike! That's a heck of a birthday present! I only ask my wife for a day off from her and the kids so I can go fishin' for my birthday.

Typically, that would be the case regarding the weather in Portland. I tell ya though, last week was GORGEOUS. Mid 60's, sunny...I know I know it won't last.

I see we are going to have to brew and bike together at some point. Here's my road bike.
sprint07900.jpg

Yeah...I have a feeling you'll be leaving me in the dust! HA
It's bad enough that one of SWMBO's friends is dating a pro rider!

Obviously, someone has never been here in the summer. Summer of 2006, we had 89 days straight without rain. Thought I'd died and moved back to Las Vegas!

I miss riding, but I have to drive 6 miles to get to a road with a shoulder. I do not want to bike a narrow country road with logging trucks, it's bad enough on the motorcycle.

david_42 said:
Obviously, someone has never been here in the summer. Summer of 2006, we had 89 days straight without rain. Thought I'd died and moved back to Las Vegas!

I miss riding, but I have to drive 6 miles to get to a road with a shoulder. I do not want to bike a narrow country road with logging trucks, it's bad enough on the motorcycle.
Actually I have OR in my blood. My Mom's from Mt. Angel, the youngest of 11 kids raised out on the farm. I'm told I was born with webbed toes.

I'll be in Portland over the 4th of July, and then heading out to eastern OR, to Condon, to go spend some time on some family farmland out there.

Man, if i wasn't leaving the country i'd say us Oregonians ought to unite and have a ride'n'drink. Last week was beautiful weather and I was able to get out on my oldschool roadbike. Hells yeah....

BIKE-Internet.jpg

david_42 said:

That is what I have to do. When I ride to work I actually drive to Oregon City then ride the 12-13 miles to Portland. I do ride out by my house at times but it is early in the morning when there is very little traffic.

4 - 5 miles of my 7.5mile journey in to work will be on the Springwater Trail. Thankful for that. Then I just have to get to Burnside/Sandy. Haven't done it yet. Wanted to get a dry run in first, but with the call for sun and 60º tomorrow, I may just go for it.

Kilted Brewer said:
4 - 5 miles of my 7.5mile journey in to work will be on the Springwater Trail. Thankful for that. Then I just have to get to Burnside/Sandy. Haven't done it yet. Wanted to get a dry run in first, but with the call for sun and 60º tomorrow, I may just go for it.

Sounds like you are on my route. I ride River Rd from Oregon City then drop down to the Springwater at Oaks Park. My office is near 20th and Burnside.

Having the Springwater trail is great.

Springwater trail, eh? Are you biking in from east, or west? I live across the street from Linnemann Station and the hobos like wandering up and down that section of trail. I need to get some tires for my bike in storage so I can get out and go riding on it.

Anyone know a good place to buy some 24" mountain bike tires? :D

Originally posted by david_42
Obviously, someone has never been here in the summer.

As a native Northwesterner, born in Oregon, raised in Portland, living in Seattle. We NEVER reveal how wonderful the weather is here.

Believe me when I say ... It rains CONSTANTLY.

Oh yeah, and we have no good beer here. ;)

EvilTOJ said:
Springwater trail, eh? Are you biking in from east, or west? I live across the street from Linnemann Station and the hobos like wandering up and down that section of trail. I need to get some tires for my bike in storage so I can get out and go riding on it.

Anyone know a good place to buy some 24" mountain bike tires? :D

I actually go South to North when I hit the trail. I have been meaning to head East on it at sometime but have not yet.

For tires I would go to Performance bike shop in Mall 205, they have good prices.

brewt00l said:
Now that's a great present! Enjoy!

I roll:
GiantOCR2.jpg

..and an older Klein mtb

Nice ride.

My collection right now is:
Motobecane Sprint (road)
Specialized Allez (road, older composite frame)
Trek 8700 (mtb composite frame)
Cannondale Jekyll (mtb)
GaryFischer (wife's mtb)

Nice.. I ride a Cannondale R2000, I love aluminum.

wife rides the multisport 1000. tri geek.

I'd be up for a HBT jersey.

Nice ride .... I've got a Trek 1500 but I only ride on the road when I can't run due to injury which luckily hasn't been a problem lately. Have been doing the Mtn bike (Trek 4300) pretty regularly just for some cross training. Did a 20 miler on Sunday after a 5 mile run. Legs were a little shot on Monday......
Jimi

good to see some cyclists in here. i'm currently working on a trailer, which will eventually be part of a mobile all grain setup.

it'll also be part of a sweet tailgating setup, hooray for multitasking! go nats!

EvilTOJ said:
Springwater trail, eh? Are you biking in from east, or west?

It's more South to North. I pick up the trail just on the other side of 99 from Sellwood. Then just shoot up by Oaks Park.

Took a trial run last night, but only made it to OMSI before turning around. It was getting dark and I don't have lights on the bike yet. Looks like it's going to take me 45 - 60mins to get in to work...

Back