Switch from BrewPi to Craftbeerpi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you switch from BrewPI to Craftbeerpi?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

John D

Reaction score
I have been a long time user of BrewPi. I actually have 4 (DYI version) of them to control my glycol system and storage room. I use 3 for the fermenters and one for my 68 degree room.

I am seriously thinking of switching to CraftbeerPi. It allows beer profiles on glycol systems and currently BrewPi does not.

I would like to know if the systems have crashed/stopped working in the past, I have not had an issue with the BrewPi's stop working or being inaccessible.

I would also like to know the max sensors and SSRs that can be on a raspberry pi running CraftbeerPi. From what I can tell, one raspberry pi could run 4 different beer fermentation (sensors) profiles controlling 4 different SSRs that each control the individual pumps that move the glycol though the cooling coils in side the fermentation conicle.

I live in So Cal, so heating is usually not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking into building an electric brewing setup, and CraftBeerPi is one of the options; but the BrewPi is so rock steady, I doubt I'll switch. In my limited access to CraftBeerPi the profile creation does not seem very intuitive.

If I do switch my fermentation control, it will likely be to Fermentrack since it already supports multiple chambers.

Thanks for the reply, I will check that one out too. Version 3 of CraftbeerPi does support multiple chambers/fermenters.

Hi
I have been a long time user of BrewPi. I actually have 4 (DYI version) of them to control my glycol system and storage room. I use 3 for the fermenters and one for my 68 degree room.

I am seriously thinking of switching to CraftbeerPi. It allows beer profiles on glycol systems and currently BrewPi does not.

I would like to know if the systems have crashed/stopped working in the past, I have not had an issue with the BrewPi's stop working or being inaccessible.

I would also like to know the max sensors and SSRs that can be on a raspberry pi running CraftbeerPi. From what I can tell, one raspberry pi could run 4 different beer fermentation (sensors) profiles controlling 4 different SSRs that each control the individual pumps that move the glycol though the cooling coils in side the fermentation conicle.

I live in So Cal, so heating is usually not an issue.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I'm starting a project with glycol chiller, I'd like to get some advice or headlines on how you implemented it, I'm in the same scenario where heating is not a issue, my idea is to use fermentrack and have an ESP8266 controlling each fermenter... thanks in advice

Hi

Hi, I'm starting a project with glycol chiller, I'd like to get some advice or headlines on how you implemented it, I'm in the same scenario where heating is not a issue, my idea is to use fermentrack and have an ESP8266 controlling each fermenter... thanks in advice
The easy is to setup the Chiller as a fermenter & set it to 20F for a year or so.
Use individual fermenter chiller actuator for valve on/off and a constant pressure operated pump for the circuit.

Hi

While I used a window AC for my chiller, it really is not the way to go. The problem is window AC unit and the type gas it uses it not designed to go below 45 degrees F. Once it drop to that temp you are pumping liquid feon through the compressor and it is not designed for that.

Second challenge is containing the glycol. Glycol is deadly to pets. I have it in a cooler with the copper running over the top of the cooler. It still leaks a little out of the drain because of the condensation.

If you know an AC person, they can help swap out the compressor for one that can handle the correct gas for going down to the zero temp for largering. If your are just going to use it for ales then you could get away with it. When mine dies I am going to swap out the compressor.

I am using coils from stainless brewing to chill the beer down. I also have a SS tech brew master fermenter that it works great. My other fermentors are blichmann and I punched holes in the lid.

If you are going to make hole in any stainless, get the hydrolic punch from harbor frieght.

If I had to do it again I would get a beer line chiller and use the electric valves to control the temp. While spending $1,500 bucks is a lot plus the valves, it is really the way to go.

I hope this helps.

Back