Sweetwater IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I'm about to make the plunge into all-grain brewing after about 6 extract batches. I have made some investments to improve the quality of my beer: temp control, chiller, large kettle...
Now it's time to get to the real reason I started brewing. Sweetwater IPA!!! Since I live in MS I can't get SW, and it is my favorite. I figured if I can't keep a stock of it, I'll make it myself. I've been working with extract kits from NB so far, and thought the 115 dream IIPA was delicious. It's still no Sweetwater IPA though.
I emailed SW hoping to get some hints. I couldn't find an email address for anyone but the marketing manager. He emailed me back almost immediately, and forwarded the email to the right person asking for her to help me. Unfortunately she hasn't emailed me, and I assume will not since it's been a couple weeks.
I've seen where Aubie Stout has an all Simcoe IPA he has made that is very close in his opinion.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f5/sweet-water-ipa-78404/index2.html
For right now that is what I plan on ordering from AHS in the next couple days. I've never used Simcoe before, and I know it plays a major role in SW IPA. I've also heard there are other hops in addition to Simcoe that are used in SW. (cascade chinook and one other) I've used Cascade and chinook before. I know the cascade has that grapefruit characteristic that punches you in the face with SW, I'm not so sure about the chinook though.
Before I order the all Simcoe, has anyone else tried to clone it or have any advice?

Get advice on your yeast too. I did a boil and split it into two pots and tried two different yeast - everything else equal - they were quite different in character.

dry yeast WB-06 seems to have a nice citrus characteristic.

...anyone else have suggestions?

Back