Sweetwater Dank Tank Fresh Sticky Nugs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak

Reaction score
The name alone made me want to try it. Just dropped in at 12 South Tap Room in Music City and whaddya know, they had it on tap. It lived up to its name. If you like big malty hoppy nasty sticky reds ... well, well well...
So from the Sweetwater web site (you gotta read the description of this beer in case you missed the point of the 420 thing) SweetWater Dank Tank Series | SweetWater Brewing Company ... the goods are as follows:

Malts: 2-row, Wheat, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Nugget, Columbus, Centennial,
with Fresh Nugget dry hop
Beginning Gravity: 19.5 Plato
Final Gravity: 5 Plato
ABV: 8.0% IBU’s: 130

So my first cut in Beersmith, and it is a first cut, goes like this:

6 gallon batch 65% efficiency

15 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 78.5 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 10.1 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Dark (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.6 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3.8 %
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 41.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 38.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 45.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Aroma Steep 1.0 min Hop 0.0 IBUs
WLP051 or Wyeast 1332 with big starter
2.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.078
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.2 %
Bitterness: 124.4 IBUs
Est Color: 22.8 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Mash In Add 24.69 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Any help would be appreciated. This beer will be tough to replicate partly because of the fresh nuggets, but it should be well worth the effort IMHO.

Nice! I had a bomber of this from Midtown Wine and Spirits. I had no idea that had it on tap anywhere in Nashville. I'll have to swing down there and try it. I enjoyed the beer but can't remember anything distinguished about it. I am a fan of the Nuggets though! :mug:

I'm ashamed I still haven't made it out to 12th Taproom. Many times next door though. Broadway Brewhouse Midtown is pretty good.

I just tried a bomber of this last night.... And dank is a wonderful description. Damn it was good. Check in on how this recipe compares because I'd love to brew some of this up to put it on tap. I might just go grab another bomber tonight.....

So my first cut in Beersmith, and it is

Beer Profile

.[/QUOTE]

I think the grain bill is pretty good but I would cut down the chocolate malt a little bit, but that's just me. I would definitely want the hops to shine through. As for the hops I'm a big fan of late additions. I'd spread out the 2 oz. at 30 min. One at 30 and one at like 15 for more flavor. Then maybe add an extra ounce of nuggets at 10. Just because I would wanna go overboard. I think this is a great base. Once I get through my kits this one is on the list

According to John Palmer, Chocolate malt should be used in small amounts since it can dominate the character of the beer. He recommends 1/2 pound in brown ales and up to 1 pound in porters and stouts. 12 ounces may be OK in this grain bill, but trimming it back to 8 ounces and making up for the color with a little roasted barley might work especially since this beer is noticeably malty.

That makes sense...the beer definitely has zero chocolate qualities. I read it on their site and nearly fainted. I be it's such a small amount..may be 4 or 6 oz.

That may be, but the color is hard to reach without it. (SRM 22.8). It is a pretty dark red, probably what some would call ruby. The roasted barley is just a guess on my part. Sweetwater does not list it in the grain bill.

Well hurry up and brew this so I can figure out how amazing it is. I'd definitely like to know how it turns out. If you don't hurry I might make the plunge myself

No input on your recipe, but I have had this at the Brewery in Atlanta and it was amazing. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

It's on the to-brew list. I am going to read up a little more on reds before going ahead with this recipe, but I think it's close. When it happens, I'll haul this thread back out for a follow-up.

Brewed this yesterday. Used Vienna instead of Munich and Amarillo instead of Centennial. Came out at 1.092 even though I scaled it back to 5 Gal. Pitched a 1.5 L starter of Cali. Sucker took off within a few hours. Checked on it today and the Krausen had already made its way into the airlock so I put a blow off on it. Cant wait to dry hop it. Awesome.:rockin:

Stevo2569 said:
Brewed this yesterday. Used Vienna instead of Munich and Amarillo instead of Centennial. Came out at 1.092 even though I scaled it back to 5 Gal. Pitched a 1.5 L starter of Cali. Sucker took off within a few hours. Checked on it today and the Krausen had already made its way into the airlock so I put a blow off on it. Cant wait to dry hop it. Awesome.:rockin:

Awesome. Keep us updated. This is coming up on my to brew list. What temp did you mash t?

Can't wait to hear how it comes out. I wish I didn't have so many beers lined up. This one is about 4th on the list.

I know it's too soon for the finished product but what's the news?

rednekhippiemotrcyclfreak said:
I know it's too soon for the finished product but what's the news?

Haha. Yeah. I racked it to secondary(Keg) yesterday. Cause I needed to pitch a Hopslam clone on the yeast cake. Will dry hop on Fri or Sat probably. Will be sampling it by week 3 (next Wed probably). Now that you mention it, just took a sample. It's at 1.020, expected 1.018. It might finish in the next week. If not its fine with me. Dark ruby red. Great body, and bitterness/flavor hop seems fresh. Lookin forward to it. Cheers!

The name alone made me want to try it. Just dropped in at 12 South Tap Room in Music City and whaddya know, they had it on tap. It lived up to its name. If you like big malty hoppy nasty sticky reds ... well, well well...
So from the Sweetwater web site (you gotta read the description of this beer in case you missed the point of the 420 thing) SweetWater Dank Tank Series | SweetWater Brewing Company ... the goods are as follows:

Malts: 2-row, Wheat, Munich, Chocolate
Hops: Nugget, Columbus, Centennial,
with Fresh Nugget dry hop
Beginning Gravity: 19.5 Plato
Final Gravity: 5 Plato
ABV: 8.0% IBU’s: 130

So my first cut in Beersmith, and it is a first cut, goes like this:

Beer Profile

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge

Mash In Add 24.69 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

Any help would be appreciated. This beer will be tough to replicate partly because of the fresh nuggets, but it should be well worth the effort IMHO.
If you try this again, Id use centennial and columbus at 1 min addition and nugget and columbus for whirlpool and dryhop. Not sure what 1332 yeast is about, but Id also use a more neutral yeast like us-05 and wl 002.

If you try this again, Id use centennial and columbus at 1 min addition and nugget and columbus for whirlpool and dryhop. Not sure what 1332 yeast is about, but Id also use a more neutral yeast like us-05 and wl 002.

The recipe, including the hop schedule was an attempt to follow what was described on Sweetwater's website. The yeast chosen was to keep the FG up close to 1.020. It seems like US05 would dry this beer out too much.

The recipe, including the hop schedule was an attempt to follow what was described on Sweetwater's website. The yeast chosen was to keep the FG up close to 1.020. It seems like US05 would dry this beer out too much.

I know what the hop listing is on our website, just giving some friendly advice. As for the yeasts, yes and no. Change your mash temp, wlp051 will be to fruity, yes you dont want it to attenuate a lot thats why wlp002 or wyeast 1968 might be a better choice. ;)

I know what the hop listing is on our website, just giving some friendly advice. As for the yeasts, yes and no. Change your mash temp, wlp051 will be to fruity, yes you dont want it to attenuate a lot thats why wlp002 or wyeast 1968 might be a better choice. ;)

I guess I didn't know who you were. Thx for the info. Would 154 be enuf of a bump in mash temp or should I just brew it and see?

bh10 said:

I used 001 Cali and im at 1.019 now. So which is the dry hop? I was planning on 2 oz of nugget for four days starting tomorrow.

bh10 said:
Yep. About double the Nuggets to Columbus.

So I pulled the dry hops yesterday (1.5oz Columbus, 3 oz Nugget)and stuck the keg in the fridge at 10 psi. I pre carb in the keg so it almost carbed. Pulled a sample today. Nice tan head. It has the malty feel and bitterness but the flavor and aroma hop are lacking. Specially the aroma. I thinking about dropping some more Columbus or Citra in for a few days to get the aroma up. Thoughts?

Edit: I only had the Sticky Nug once and it was after a few others so maybe it's spot on. I don't quite remember what the aroma was like. It has a earthy/slight piney/resiny taste, also a little grassy finish. Anyone have or remember what the aroma and flavor were like? I'm trying to find some to do a side by side. Yes I know the dryhopping didn't and much bitterness. Thanks.

Sometimes when beer has been on the gas for a short time it can add some extra bitterness, but that should fade after a few days.

Been drinking on this for a week or so now. It gets better with every drink. The CO2 might have gave it an extra bit of bitterness initially, but it is well balanced and awesome now. The sticky nug is the only dank tank I've had. Any others I should get?? I'm gonna have to get a few more next chance I get. I still need to do a side by side as well. Maybe I can save some until then. Cheers!

Been drinking on this for a week or so now. It gets better with every drink. The CO2 might have gave it an extra bit of bitterness initially, but it is well balanced and awesome now. The sticky nug is the only dank tank I've had. Any others I should get?? I'm gonna have to get a few more next chance I get. I still need to do a side by side as well. Maybe I can save some until then. Cheers!

The new 420 IPA is great and extremely hoppy. :mug:

New? I like 420 but was not aware of a new one.

This is a Dank Tank, not the regular 420. Pretty much a non watered down version that we put a metric ton of Centennial and Cascade dry hops into.

Thinking about it, it might not be everywhere yet as it was just packed and bottled.

Back