Sweetening a Finished Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
I made a mead about 2 years ago and just tasted it. There was no residual sweetness left over. I would like to know what I can do to sweeten it up and if that is even safely possible?

I'm thinking of dumping in all back into a bottling bucket, mixing in a pound or two of honey to sweeten it up (I have about 2-3 gallons) and re bottling.

Is this process acceptable or is there something else I should add to prevent re-fermentation or anything like that?

Thanks guys/gals

Get some Campden Tabs, crush em and let them do their thing. Back sweeten after a week or two.

Don't just dump it into a bucket!

First, the mead must be stabilized to ensure fermentation won't restart. That is done by racking the mead into a solution of crushed campden tablets and potassium sorbate dissolved in a little water. The general "dose" is 1 crushed campden tablet and 1/2 teaspoon of sorbate per gallon.

Then it should sit a few days, and then the mead can be sweetened to taste. Usually a bit more honey (warmed a bit and dissolved in a little water so that it will mix easily) is a good choice. It's important to do this "quietly" in a carboy, without allowing the mead to uptake oxygen, or you can rack the mead into the sweetening agent.

Let that sit a few days (or more) to ensure fermentation doesn't restart and then it can be bottled.

Back