Sweet Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJC16

Reaction score
I am looking to make a sweet chocolate stout. I know LD Carlson makes fruit extracts like raspberry and apricot does anyone know where I can find something similiar with chocolate?

I am looking to make a sweet chocolate stout. I know LD Carlson makes fruit extracts like raspberry and apricot does anyone know where I can find something similiar with chocolate?

Nielsen-Massey is very good. I get it at Dean and Deluca, but its not too hard to find at specialty stores in general, probably not the Supermarket though. Use the link below to find a store.

http://www.nielsenmassey.com/storesearch.htm

I see recommendations for Star-Kay a lot too. Neither brand is cheap, and it would be cheaper to use cocoa powder but I think the result from extract is superior to other methods and you don't have to worry about wrecking head retention.

ETA: 2 oz of Nielsen-Massey is about the max you would want to use in 5 gallons. Not sure if you have had Rogue Chocolate Stout but most credible clones would use 1.5-2 oz in 5 gallons and that is a pretty chocolaty beer. I would recommend adding an ounce at bottling/kegging, tasting and going from there.

I have made a cocoa stout, in which I have used cocoa, but I wanted something sweeter than what I currently have. Maybe should I add lactose next time?

Back