Swamp cooler question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psuhammer14

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a few questions on swamp coolers. I am fermenting a white IPA right now. I decided to use a swamp cooler for the first time since I was getting temps between 72-76 for prior batches which was too high... I have been able to keep the fermenter temp between 64-70 this round. Most readings were between 67-70, but those stick on thermometers on the plastic fermenter aren't that easy to read or accurate in my opinion. So, questions...

1. I have enough water in the bucket to cover maybe the first 3-4" of the fermenter... Is that enough? I've seen posts that say the water should be 1/2 way up, but others say a smaller amount is fine...

2. With my current lvl of water am I risking different rates of fermentation at the bottom of the fermenter where it would be cooler, vs. the top where the water doesn't reach? Is that something I need to worry about, or am I overthinking things?

3. Ive maintained a temp of between 60-65 in the swamp cooler water, and with the fermenter temp sh wing 67-70, that seems about right, or should I get the water a bit colder? Would I risk the yeast going dormant if the water was around 55 or so son spidering the temps inside the fermenter will be higher? The ambient temp is a very consistent 69 in the room.

Thanks in advance for the insights, it's my first time using the swamp cooler.

Well now you need to use the brew thermometer to check the water temp. next you know how fast you get cold in fifty degree water pretty fast but 50 degree air no problem. That said raise your water level as much as you wish. I have my fermenter almost 3/4 submerged. The larger the volume of water the slower the fermenter raises the temp and the longer you have the beer in the proper temp range The stick on thermometers works ok but they shouldn't be submerged for a long time. Now if you get tired of changing water bottles look into getting a square roll around ice chest they are insulated and hold your temps very well. I cut a hole in the lid of mine so that the neck just sticks out. I wish I could find on of these chest that is big enough to hold the 6.5 carboys. I use 6 gallon carboys. The yeast stirs the beer greatly you don't have a great change in beer temp from top to bottom. Good luck!:)

One way to ensure your entire bucket is at the same temperature is using the t-shirt and fan method. Wrap the uncovered part of the bucket with damp shirts (or towels), with the bottoms of the shirt dipped into the water. Then aim a fan towards the fan as it helps cool the bucket through an evaporative cooling effect.

Hello all, I have a few questions on swamp coolers. I am fermenting a white IPA right now. I decided to use a swamp cooler for the first time since I was getting temps between 72-76 for prior batches which was too high... I have been able to keep the fermenter temp between 64-70 this round. Most readings were between 67-70, but those stick on thermometers on the plastic fermenter aren't that easy to read or accurate in my opinion.

Not sure what yeast you're using but 70 is still a bit on the high side for most ale yeasts. If you're looking for clean/crisp ferment, you'll want to keep your temps in the mid 60s. Check the optimal temp for your yeast and aim for the middle of the range.

1. I have enough water in the bucket to cover maybe the first 3-4" of the fermenter... Is that enough? I've seen posts that say the water should be 1/2 way up, but others say a smaller amount is fine...

You need enough water to act as a heat sink and dissipate enough heat to get your fermenter in the temp range you're looking for. Depending on the ambient temp, sometimes you can do that with raising and lower the water level. Sometimes you'll need to add frozen containers of ice in the water to reach the desire temp.

2. With my current lvl of water am I risking different rates of fermentation at the bottom of the fermenter where it would be cooler, vs. the top where the water doesn't reach? Is that something I need to worry about, or am I overthinking things?

No. That's not an issue.

3. Ive maintained a temp of between 60-65 in the swamp cooler water, and with the fermenter temp sh wing 67-70, that seems about right, or should I get the water a bit colder? Would I risk the yeast going dormant if the water was around 55 or so son spidering the temps inside the fermenter will be higher? The ambient temp is a very consistent 69 in the room.

Water temp itself doesn't matter. You need to drop the temp of the water enough to get the fermenter down to the desired fermenting temp for the particular yeast strain you're using.

Hope that helps!

I wish I could find on of these chest that is big enough to hold the 6.5 carboys. I use 6 gallon carboys.
Here's two 6 gallon carboys in a water filled storage bin wrapped with bubble insulation. It's sitting on a piece of foam board to insulate from the bottom and I cut two holes in another piece of foam board for a lid and use towels to insulate where the bottles stick out of the lid. Ghetto, but it works.

edit to say:
It'll hold two 6-1/2 gallon carboys also. :D

waterbath4.jpg

Here's two 6 gallon carboys in a water filled storage bin wrapped with bubble insulation. It's sitting on a piece of foam board to insulate from the bottom and I cut two holes in another piece of foam board for a lid and use towels to insulate where the bottles stick out of the lid. Ghetto, but it works.

Well when I go to 10 gallon batches I might go to something similar, I like it!:D

Water temp itself doesn't matter.
From my experience comparing bath water temperature to wort temperature with a thermowell, there is very little difference. The wort was always within a degree of the bath even during the most vigorous fermentation. But I have to qualify that by saying that I have five dollar submersible fish tank pump in the bath that keeps the water moving.

From my experience comparing bath water temperature to wort temperature with a thermowell, there is very little difference. The wort was always within a degree of the bath. But I have to qualify that by saying that I have five dollar submersible fish tank pump in the bath that keeps the water moving.

What does the pump improve? It is a honest question!:mug:

From my experience comparing bath water temperature to wort temperature with a thermowell, there is very little difference. The wort was always within a degree of the bath even during the most vigorous fermentation. But I have to qualify that by saying that I have five dollar submersible fish tank pump in the bath that keeps the water moving.

I'm sure you have your set-up dialed in, pump and all. Other set-ups could be different (i.e.; glass carboy, plastic fermenting bucket, 3 inches of water, 3/4 full of water, etc...). For folks just getting started with an unfamiliar set-up, I would suggest they pay attention to the wort temp itself. Once they become familiar with their set-up, they will be able to approximate the fermenting wort temp by the water temp just as you do.

Cheers!

Lot of different info here, thank you... In trying to summarize recommendations, without changing from a swamp cooler to a better setup for this batch, I should add more water to cover about 1/2 the fermenter and regulate wort temp by keeping water temp about 60 or so? Active fermentation( at least blowoff tube is no longer bubbling) stopped this morning. Keeping the water at 60 is less of a concern now correct? I brewed Sunday afternoon and had solid stream of bubbles between 5-10 hours after sealing the fermenter. Are there any thermometers that can be safely submerged in the fermenter bucket to get an accurate reading? Maybe glass thermometers with a non reactive wire? Wish I had a carbon then a floating one could work if they make one...

if you are bubbling at 15 seconds or so the most active part of fermentation is over you can let the temp rise naturely to say 70 degrees. Anoldurfermention has a handle on temp probes. :)

Latest posts

Back