Swamp Cooler Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackinjeebs

Reaction score
Currently having my first experience with temp control. Got two batches going right now, one being a IPA using us-05 and the other being a red ale using WL005. My question is, when I take temp readings of the water, do I need to shoot for lower than my goal due to the ferment creating heat? or does that reading accurately reflect the temp of the wort? Been keeping the IPA's water down to about 62 and the Red Ales water has been hanging out around 65.

Advice please :D

The temp inside your vessel can be up to 7 degrees warmer than ambient...typically not more than 5 degrees (All farenheit). So I shoot to keep my swampt cooler water 5*F lower than target fermentation temps [EDIT:did not mean to say ambient!].

What I have always wondered is yeast ferment more slowly at lower temps, so that SHOULD mean they produce less heat...hmmmmm haha

I also have a wet shirt on both to prevent light in them as well as assist in cooling. I run a fan in the room about 50% of the time too... hmmmm

Back