Swamp Cooler Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xinunix

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on options for cooling down the primary in a warmer house. Going to give the swamp cooler a shot. Just got a 18 gallon plastic tub, 6.5 gallon primary bucket fits perfectly. Question I have is how much water to put into the swamp cooler. I have seen suggestions on everything from 6 inches to filling it up to just below the liquid mark in the primary.

Seems that filling it most of the way full which seems to be more like a cool water bath than an evaporative cooler?

Also, do most folks cover theirs or leave them open?

To get any evaporative cooling effect you will need to leave the swamp cooler bucket open so the water can evaporate. I might need to set up one of these this summer, so I too would like to know the ideal water depth. My guess would be that just a few inches to keep the towel/shirt over the carboy wet would be ideal to get the most possible surface are evaporating water.

Back