Surprise from MoreBeer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor_8thMan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Received the following email from MoreBeer. Total surprise. I didn't complain about an order being late, but I guess MoreBeer felt they let me down. Text from the MoreBeer email follows.

"Dear Valued Customer,

I am writing you today because an order(s) you placed with Morebeer.com or Morewine.com in the last six months was determined to be delivered after the date stated on our website. As a fellow homebrewer and winemaker I know it can be frustrating when you plan out your time and your supplies don’t arrive. I want to apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused and offer $20 off your next order. Details on using this code are below.

We have been falling short of meeting our own internal standards of shipping 98% of all orders on time. We have fixed some of the problems that were causing these issues and will be offering the same level of service we pride ourselves on moving forward.

Best Regards,

Olin Schultz
CEO
MoreFlavor!"

Commendable on their part and if they are getting close to the 98% it shouldn't hurt them financially. I guess also they think that the $20 will get you in the door, so to speak, and are likely to spend more than the "discount".

8ae.gif

But it's not devious, it's smart business. Both parties win.

With all the possibilities that could cause a delay, the only way I would guarantee a delivery date would be if it was excessively long. Something like guaranteeing a delivery in 3 weeks. I see weather, computer, shipper.... Just too many things to go wrong.

But if a company can keep their missed deliveries at about 2% that is not going to hurt them.

What I would like to see is an Amazon (online) or Walmart (brick and mortar) type that had NO SALES.... Just offering the best price they can still make a profit on. That way I would be assured that I wouldn't pay more by buying it today compared to having the item go on sale a week later.

But then again I just made a pre-Black Friday purchase - because it was on sale....

Really surprised and not required or expected. MoreBeer has always come thru for me. Have a problem with an order? No fuss, no argument. It is replaced.

MoreBeer is my go-to online supplier. Why not 100% online supplier? Sometimes, only rarely, they don't have what I need.

Not sure how many people will actually read this thread but it seems like $20 well spent on marketing for Moorbeer.

That $20 is not what is coming out of MB's pocket.
For example, pick an item that MB's actual cost is $10. To pay for shipping, inventory costs, advertising, electric bill, profit,
yada, yada, yada, they need to sell it for $20. When you come in with your $20 discount, you're actually purchasing a $10 item, plus whatever else you buy, 'cuz you know you're just going to tack that $20 discount on a bigger order.

Not complaining, and I'll use any discount I can find (I'm on social security!) but don't believe that $20 discount is actually costing them $20.

It *is* smart business. In my early homebrewing days I bought a lot from Morebeer, but mostly it was equipment. Now, I need little in the way of equipment, and my ingredients are sourced locally, but I have always had respect for MoreBeer.

I'm working w/ a homebrew equipment supplier right now whose equipment isn't working properly in my setup. We don't know why, I've tried the original and a replacement, neither solved the problem. Then a newer beta update--and it worked initially then didn't.

There are many for whom this equipment works without a problem, but the really cool part is the vendor has worked with me to try to solve it. I can get a refund if I want, but I'd really rather get it to work properly--it would make my life better.

I won't name the vendor because we aren't sure the problem isn't on my end (an unusual setup perhaps?), but also because the vendor has gone out of the way to try to make me happy.

If we get it solved, I'll name the vendor because they deserve kudos for the way they've handled it. But since the problem might be on my end, I don't want to potentially drag their name through the mud for something that's my fault.

I like buying from those vendors, and that kind of customer service keeps *me* coming back.

Just received the same email. There had been complaints on this forum from people having this exact issue with shipping during the summer- especially with yeast orders. I recall posting a reply saying “email them so they can make it right”. Very glad to see they are making it right all together, for anyone who may have been affected. Good stuff.

Back