Super weird krausen.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardedterror

Reaction score
Hello again!

I brewed an imperial stout yesterday, and finally got it cool enough to pitch the yeast this morning. Around 5pm this evening, I started noticing the typical signs of fermenting, and about 15 minutes ago, I opened up my bucket to find this. I'm not worried at all, but was just curious if anyone has seen something like this and knows what might have caused it (or maybe it's normal, and I just haven't caught it at this phase yet).

SANY0418.jpg

as far as my simple mind can understand it as the yeast multiply outward they can form those peaks and folds. there is probably a more elegant way to explain it but i'm not the one to do it. i open my buckets to skim the krausen off and have never had a problem. most of the time i start the fermentation with the lid off so i don' have to wrestle with getting the lid off every time. looks like a nice fermentation you have going there.

as far as my simple mind can understand it as the yeast multiply outward they can form those peaks and folds. there is probably a more elegant way to explain it but i'm not the one to do it. i open my buckets to skim the krausen off and have never had a problem. most of the time i start the fermentation with the lid off so i don' have to wrestle with getting the lid off every time. looks like a nice fermentation you have going there.

Why do you skim the krausen off?

i skim the first krausen because i find it results in a much smoother taste (to me anyway) it's pretty standard practice in many berman breweries. when i first heard about it i was skecptical but after doing test and control batches i was convinced. a second and sometimes third krausen may develop and i may harvest yeast from those. that first krausen has to be one of the most bitter things you will ever put in your mouth.

that looks like German pancakes in the oven. that is weird. have no idea what that is

Back