Super late dry hop addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lelandmccann

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an IPA that is just about ready to bottle. I added the dry hops 5 days ago and am planning to bottle tomorrow or Thursday. I have an extra oz of hops in the fridge and debated adding them today. Worth it or a waste?

If you were going to add the final bit - I would dry hop a minimum of 2 days before bottling. Otherwise, i would go the full 5 extra days, then cold crash for at least a day to clear as best possible.

Only you can determine if the current beer is rich enough in hop flavor and aroma to determine if the second charge is necessary.

If you were going to add the final bit - I would dry hop a minimum of 2 days before bottling. Otherwise, i would go the full 5 extra days, then cold crash for at least a day to clear as best possible.

Only you can determine if the current beer is rich enough in hop flavor and aroma to determine if the second charge is necessary.

Great response. Thank you!

According to institutional research, you can get away with ~24 hour dry hopping.

I say go for it, if you really think you need more hop aroma in your beer.

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/34093/Wolfe_thesis.pdf

I did my last double IPA testing this theory. Split the batch at 2 gallons in each keg.

One was dry hopped for 3 days each (9 days total, 3 additions).

One was dry hopped for 1 day each (3 days total, 3 additions).

Everything was exactly the same for each batch including temps and carbonation levels.

Beers tasted identical.

If you are thinking of extending the dry hopping with the second pitch by another 5 days or so, you might want to remove the first hop pitch first, to avoid it going grassy on you...

Cheers!

Everything was exactly the same for each batch including temps and carbonation levels.

I read the article, but remain skeptical - only because brewers have been dry hopping for hundreds of years and suddenly, just now observe that 1 day is adequate. That said - the world was flat back then too... :)

Kharper, did you adjust the short hop schedule to finish at the same time as the longer? I am wondering about the contact time with the yeast and changes there that MAY make a difference. Stan H talks about how yeast and hops interact briefly in his book on Hops. I suspect that the longer but limited contact time (looking at real cask ale) is beneficial in refining the hop profile (flavor and aroma) for certain varietals, such as British or German Noble hops, understanding that at some point things go downhill and become grassy, oxidized and off putting. I suspect the more high-alpha hops will mask some or all of that refinement at least early on.

Not dissing, and will be experimenting myself.

Latest posts

Back