Super High Gravity Yeast in Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with high gravity yeast when brewing hard cider?

If so, what did you use and what were the results?

I once used 1118 in cider. It blew all of the flavor out of the air lock and it tasted like crap. Chateau a'la Rocket fuel.

Believe it or not, EC-1118 is one of the most popular cider yeasts in the commercial world. It's very clean, neutral, and has low nitrogen requirements. The key however is to keep it cold - like 50° - and let it take months to finish. A warm fast ferment will leave little flavor or aroma behind.

I may try it this winter. I brew in an unheated garage in North Carolina.
It rarely gets below 40°F in there even on the coldest days.
Thanks for the input!

EC-1118 is perfect for making a very dry cider. Since it doesn't need much nitrogen, it will ferment every milligram of sugar in your must. It can also strip every bit of flavor. The result can frequently taste more like prosecco than cider. I use it only to bottle condition after fermenting with either the native yeast in the apples or something like WL English cider Yeast which tends to preserve more of the apple character. EC-1118 tends to produce the smallest bubbles in the bottle conditioned cider than just about any other commercial yeast you can buy, a very desirable trait in the finished product.

Back