Super cloudy and super active

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squegeeboo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just brewed a blonde last night, I also pitched the yeast when the blonde was still slightly over 80 F, because I'm an idiot and forgot to test that. last time I made it, it stayed pretty clear the entire time. This go round, it's super cloudy (i know it's only been a day) and super active. It's already blown the top off the carboy once. I cleaned the top, sanitized, and popped it back in with a fresh, also sanitized bleeder valve thingy to replace the previous one.

I'm just wondering if any of you think something might be wrong, or if I'm just worrying about an initially over active yeast.

Yeast are probably vigorous due to high fermentation temps. What is she sitting at now? Cooler hopefully....?

When I made biermuncher's centennial blonde the first two days my carboy looked white it was so hazy but it clears up.

Seems normal to me. In my experience the beer always looks cloudy during fermentation, as it should since you have billions of yeasties running around in there. Yeast are also more active at higher temperatures, so pitching on the warmer side might be why your noticing faster activity than normal. You may also see more ester production from the warmer pitch.

But as for now, just let them do their thing and make sure your in the optimal temperature range for the given yeast strain.

Yeast are probably vigorous due to high fermentation temps. What is she sitting at now? Cooler hopefully....?

Sitting at 74 now. I always thought the higher temp had a chance of killing the yeast, not making it more active. Good to know.

Sitting at 74 now. I always thought the higher temp had a chance of killing the yeast, not making it more active. Good to know.

Respectively, yes, yeast will produce faster with higher temps. As the great Palmer says "too hot (more than 10°F above the nominal range) and they (yeast) indulge in an orgy of fermentation" which can and usually will impact negatively to your brew. 'Too' hot though (110+), yes, yeasties will burn up...

Respectively, yes, yeast will produce faster with higher temps. As the great Palmer says "too hot (more than 10°F above the nominal range) and they (yeast) indulge in an orgy of fermentation" which can and usually will impact negatively to your brew. 'Too' hot though (110+), yes, yeasties will burn up...

Oh noooes, hopefully I wasn't to far above the nominal range then, I wouldn't be suprised if the first few hours last night were a bit to far on the warm side. Need this ale for my sisters wedding on 9/28, I guess I'll brew a secondary batch more carefully just to be safe. Worst case, we need it, best case, hooray beer.

Back