Super broke and cant stop skeeter pee ferment :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanity1676

Reaction score
sodium Benzonate is rather expensive at my LHBS. Would campden tablets or maybe a natural source of sodium benzonate like frozen blueberries stop my ferment? maybe some minute maid lemonade with all its crazy pereservatives?

sodium Benzonate is rather expensive at my LHBS. Would campden tablets or maybe a natural source of sodium benzonate like frozen blueberries stop my ferment? maybe some minute maid lemonade with all its crazy pereservatives?

Don't worry- benzoate won't stop it anyway. Let it ferment out. Then add some potassium sorbate with some campden, wait a few days, then sweeten to taste.

so, what is the purpose of the sodium benzoate, then?

It's a preservative. It won't stop an active fermentation, but once fermentation is finished, and the wine is racked off of the lees and the wine is clear, it will keep the yeast from reproducing and so fermentation usually won't restart.

That's what potassium sorbate does, as well.

It's a preservative. It won't stop an active fermentation, but once fermentation is finished, and the wine is racked off of the lees and the wine is clear, it will keep the yeast from reproducing and so fermentation usually won't restart.

That's what potassium sorbate does, as well.

ah...thanks for the info!

Back