Sun struck or light struck beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NBBrewer

Reaction score
soooo... I had a nice cold beer i brewed poured into a frosty mug. I took it outside and it was quite sunny out. warm but not hot out. I sat there with the beer sitting in the sun. Not for too long and it suddenly developed this skunky smell. The taste wasn't much different not that i know what skunk tastes like lol. I do remember this happening decades ago and in my ignorance I assumed the lines weren't cleaned or the beer was mishandled in some way. I was absolutely amazed at how quickly this happened and how much it affected flavor. I like a dank beer but this was over the top. Your light commercial beers don't have this happen mainly because very little hops are used. Anyone else notice this effect?

From a Sons of Alchemy presentation on off-flavors:
djLBLoe.jpg

If it's any consolation, you've discovered the key to homebrewing Heineken, complete with that "green bottle, been on the shelve in a cooler at a store under harsh lighting for weeks on end flavor."

Looks like we got the skunky issue covered.

I am going to warn against the practice of drinking from a frosty mug. I do not know the science, but know it makes a difference. The experiment is easy pour one beer in your frosty mug, another in a clean dry room temperature glass.

The glass itself makes a difference as well. Try to use two identical glasses, preferably beer drinking glasses. Often fancy promotional glasses given away by beer companies are terrible for drinking beer.

But any glass is worse off with frosting.

driving to fast on the road can produce skunky smells on the road too.....

not sure if that's applicable, but it happens during the day....
On your side of the pond maybe. On this side all this'll get you is a hefty fine... :(

Let's put it this way.

An American who drinks Heineken for the first time: "Smells just like the skunk I ran over this morning."

A European drinking a Heineken: "So this is what a skunk would smell like if I could actually find a skunk to run over anywhere around here."

😁

My wife loves the skunky taste of Heineken. I can now be a hero and duplicate that for her easy peasy lemon squeeze.

I will even save all her old Heineken bottles

Back