Summer IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
I am trying to make a summer IPA full of tropical notes, Let me know what you think, BTW I am probably going to use Vermont IPA yeast from giga yeast for this.

Fermentables Efficiency: 70.0 % Batch size: 11.0 gal

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
2-Row (US) 12.0 lb 46 % Mash 37 1 °L
Wheat Malt (DE) 7.0 lb 26 % 37 2 °L
Maris Otter Pale (UK) 6.0 lb 23 % Mash 38 3 °L
Caramel/Crystal 40L (US) 1.0 lb 3 % Mash 34 40 °L
Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Warrior (US) 2.0 oz 60 min First Wort Pellet 16.0%
Nelson Sauvin (N 2.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 12.5%
Galaxy (AU) 2.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 14.2%
Nelson Sauvin (N 2.0 oz 0 min Whirlpool Pellet 12.5%
Galaxy (AU) 2.0 oz 0 min Whirlpool Pellet 14.2%
Nelson Sauvin (N 4.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 12.5%
Galaxy (AU) 4.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 14.2%

Whirlpool will be at least 30min under 180 degrees. I am also thinking about getting a 3ml hop shot for this. Any thoughts on Nelson over powering the galaxy? I know enjoy by uses both, and that is what I am kind of going for.

Have you used it (Giga yeast) before? I've read that it's almost non-flocculent, but gives pleasant fruity flavor. Possibly like a subdued hefeweizen yeast.

Vermont ipa is Conan yeast, and I am fine with a cloudy beer. I know at colder temps it gives a peachy note to it, which I think will work well with galaxy and Nelson

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I came in here to beg you not to use those awesome hops for bittering, and it looks like someone already learned ya. :)

That looks like a fine beer. I love Nelson hops. Need to try some Galaxy at some point. Haven't used those...

update on this, I know ghosteh asked about it:

did a gallon batch, split between a 10 gal and 5 gallon kettles. LBHS did not get my order exact on the hops so here was the schedule,
@60min 1.5 oz of warrior
@10min 1oz each of simcoe, mosaic, nelson, and galaxy
30min hop stand 1oz each of simcoe, mosaic, nelson and galaxy

gravities were about the same when mixed and areated (1.062 and 1.058)

Pitched one pack each of the double pitch of vermont ipa yeast and used a swamp cooler to get to 64 about. after two and a half days of slow airlock activity, was ramped up to 68 and now its going strong. Tasting notes to follow

Gravity finished around 1.009. Carbed up and pics and notes to follow

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403397587.988638.jpg

Here is a pic, my dads kegerator is having some issues hence the head. Smell is juicy awesomeness. Taste starts with assertive bitterness, then tons of juicy notes and aftertaste is is very astringent. With time this will be great. Right now it's okay, I wish the Nelson white grape note was there more.

For me Nelson Sauv gets filed next to Simcoe. Not a terribley interesting hop. Try mixing palisade in with galaxy or citra. It's a good combo imo.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405633281.944823.jpg

Here is a pic if the first pull from the second 5 gallons, still needs a day or two to finish carbing up, but tastes great and the bitterness is not nearly as astringent.

Is it still settling out? I know you have a good amount of wheat in this one but it still looks murky.

A lot of settling, this was the first pour. By the next couple pints it will probably get clearer.

Back