Summer CitrAce Wheat Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

norman1080

Reaction score
:mug:

Below is my first go at a recipe. I am looking for a citrusy summer wheat beer that uses Citra hops, lemon & orange peel/zest and some coriander seed. I am putting this very preliminary design of a recipe out there to get any feed back I can. Take a look see and let me know what you think. Here is a link to the recipe on Hopville. Summer CitrAce Wheat

Thanks in advance for all of your help and suggestions! Cheers!

Here is the recipe:

Summer CitrAce Wheat

Batch size: 5.0 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.059 measured (1.059 estimated)
Final Gravity: 1.015 measured (1.014 estimated)
Color: 4° SRM / 7.88° EBC measured (4° SRM estimated) (Yellow)
Mash Efficiency: 75%

Bitterness: 25.3 IBU / 4 HBU
BU:GU: 0.43

Yeast: Wyeast American Wheat (1010)

Alcohol: 5.9% ABV / 5% ABW (6.0% est. ABV / 5% est. ABW)

Calories: 194 per 12 oz.

Malt & fermentables:
% LB OZ MALT OR FERMENTABLE PPG °L
42% 4 0 White Wheat Malt 40 2 ~
37% 3 8 American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
11% 1 1 Wheat Dry Extract 44 8 ~
5% 0 8 Flaked Wheat 34 2 ~
5% 0 8 Orange Blossom Honey 38 3 ~

Hops:
USE TIME OZ VARIETY FORM AA
boil 60 mins 0.3 Sorachi Ace pellet 13.7
boil 30 mins 0.25 Citra pellet 11.0
boil 10 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 11.0

Boil: 4.0 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Misc:
USE TIME AMOUNT INGREDIENT
boil 30 min 1 tsp Coriander Seed
boil 15 min 1 tsp Irish Moss
boil 30 min 1 ounces Lemon Peel
boil 30 min 1 ounces Orange Peel, Sweet

(1) Why are you adding extract to an all grain recipe? It's not that I object as a matter of principle, I'm just confused.

(2) Why are you adding that little honey? If you only add 8oz, you will get basically no flavor contribution. Consider adding honey malt instead, if you want a "honey" flavor.

This is great. I am excited you have taken the time to look through the recipe. It will hopefully aid me into making good recipes in the future. So, thank you for your advice and questions. Cheers! :mug:

(1) Why are you adding extract to an all grain recipe? It's not that I object as a matter of principle, I'm just confused.

In response to question one, my goal was to create a partial mash recipe. After reading your question, I am also confused on how to do that. Is there a ratio of specialty grains to extract to use to make it a true partial mash? I am not against an all grain, but I have never do it. Any pointers in this area would be helpful.

(2) Why are you adding that little honey? If you only add 8oz, you will get basically no flavor contribution. Consider adding honey malt instead, if you want a "honey" flavor.

In response to question two, the honey addition was kinda a token addition and in my mind not all that important. So, with that said, do you think the honey addition adds anything special to the recipe. Should I keep it in and use honey malt? Or should I substitute it for more wheat malt?

I brewed something similar to this last weekend - 1/2 2-row, 1/2 wheat, with a little Crystal 20 for color. Used all Amarillo hops and added 1oz fresh orange zest at 5minutes. Fermented it with some Bell's yeast I cultured from Oberon bottles. The gravity sample I took yesterday tasted really nice - my wife will like this one as a warm weather brew.

I think your recipe looks pretty good - I do agree with moving the flavor/aroma hops back a bit and bumping up the quantities slightly to give a bit more fruity hop flavor.

Latest posts

Back