Summer brewing in Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhu667

Reaction score
Well summer is approaching, and I find myself almost out if beer. I started being last fall so I've not had a summer brew yet. How do I keep the fermentation at the right temperature during the warm months. The guys at the homebrew shop suggested ice blocks and towels, but that sounds like a pain. What's the easiest cheapest way to hold the right temp for fermentation?

This can be done cheaply, or not (see Craigs List). Forget everything, and buy a fermentation fridge or freezer. And a temp controller.

Nothing improved my beer as much as fermenting at a set temp, and not being a slave to ambient.

Nothing.

You will make awesome beer when you take control!

The cheapest is a swamp cooler. But it takes up your freezer space and time in 8-12 hour intervals all depending.

I've been doing it for 2 1/2 years and it's a pain. I intend to build a fermentation chamber so I can enjoy camping again!

Another vote for a freezer and temp controller. I don't have it but it's the easiest.

I was reluctant to drop the cash buying a 7cf freezer. So far, aside from my very first brewing kit, it's been the best investment to date. You don't know how nice it is to key in a temp setting and walk away to let the yeasties take care of the rest until you try it for the first time.

Keep in mind also, if you build a temp controller, you can also use the same freezer to serve out of.

Get you a freezer and you'll never look back.

Also you can find d a freezer for under 100 bucks on Craigslist. It's a great investment down here. Also it gives you the ability to do lagers.

Another vote chest freezer + temp controller. I too was hesitant to drop the coin on this, but in retrospect, it was absolutely worth it and I wish I had done it sooner.

Also, freezer vs. 'fridge is a matter of personal choice. Feel free to pick either.

I've found that 'fridges can generally be found easier than chest freezers on Craig's List, and often are cheaper. I use a 'fridge myself instead of a freezer, and because it's less powerful, I find my temp swings (overshooting the target temp) are negligible when the compressor kicks on, AND I don't have the condensation/mildew issues people with freezers sometimes get.

'Fridges get plenty cold enough to lager. I've actually frozen kegs left on the bottom of the 'fridge when it was set to its coldest setting.

Summer brewing in Texas is very hard to do well unless you put forth the extra effort needed to keep your ferments cool (like mid-60's beer temp for most ales). If you want to tackle the issue head-on, hunt for a cheap fridge on CL, plug it into controller box using an STC-1000. Problem solved.

Having this sort of setup also opens up the ability to cold crash (which is very nice if you can do it), brew lagers and to chill wort down beyond what you can get it with your hose water to a good pitch temp like 60-62*F for ales before adding yeast.

http://www.amazon.com/Elitech-All-Purpose-Temperature-Controller-Thermostat/dp/B008KVCPH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399600729&sr=8-1&keywords=stc-1000

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/stc-1000-setup-beginners-433985/#post5538096

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-fish-tank-controller-build-using-wal-mart-parts-261506/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

BTW, swamp coolers are much less effective in humid climates vs. where it's dry.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know that I've ever thought about that aspect before. Is it a result of less evaporation in a humid environment?

Yep. They'll still cool somewhat, but nothing like what you'll see in dry climates.

I tried one of those cooling vests for working out in the yard and for mountainbiking several summers ago. Around here, they don't work very well on most days due to the humidity.

I don't know that I've ever thought about that aspect before. Is it a result of less evaporation in a humid environment?

Precisely. Evaporation causes the cooling effect. When the air is already saturated with water it can't take up any more so evaporation can't happen. That's why we sweat like pigs on hot, humid days and still feel hot.

+1 on a fermentation chamber. I use an old chest freezer. It's amazing to not have to change out water bottles in a swamp cooler anymore! And I live in the desert where the swamp cooler method is very effective.

My next investment will probably be a turkey fryer so I don't have to heat up the house in the summer!! Happy brewing :)

I'm wondering if "swamp cooler" means different things to different people.

I've some say to wrap your vessel with a T-shirt sitting in a tub of water and using a fan.

I just have mine sitting in a tub of water using the frozen water bottles to maintain the temp of the water, which in turn maintains the temp of my beer, and it works well here in south TX. But then ambient temp is 74-75* in the house…

I could use my sling psychrometer to figure out what the humidity is in here. I can certainly verify that's it's much lower than outside! :p

I'm wondering if "swamp cooler" means different things to different people.

Here in central California a "swamp cooler" is an evaporative cooler, usually about 3' square and mounted on the roof. It has a squirrel-cage fan inside. The fan draws air through pads of either balsam or foam that are soaked with water. The cooled air is then blown through ducts to cool the interior of a home. Until air conditioning became readily available and affordable its all we had. And because the relative humidity here is rarely over 25% in the summertime they work pretty well.

So I got on this forum and guys were saying I needed to rig up a swamp cooler to keep ferment temperatures in line. Took a while to figure out just what kind of contraption they were talking about. :confused:

I'm currently using my kegerator to lager/cold condition/serve from. I have a window unit in my bedroom that I'm keeping in the 60's with a stout in ambient and a hefe in a trash can filled with water that I add ice packs to. It won't be long before that window unit can't keep up so I'm brewing a lot (for me) right now. I may be craigslisting another fridge in a few weeks.

When I started I relied on the trashcan with water & ice method. If you brew for the season and sub suitable yeast it'll get you through the summer.

A swamp cooler is an evaporative cooler. A system using frozen bottles isn't a swamp cooler. The term is misused often on HBT.

You can somewhat offset a humid climate by directing a fan toward the evaporative wick, but still...just buy a damn freezer and controller.

$150 is peanuts in this hobby. Skip a couple batches and put that money toward your fermentation chamber. You'll be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use an old upright freezer I got on Craig's list for $50.00 and a dual stage temp controller I built with an STC-1000. It works great and is probably the single best thing I invested in that improved my brews.

In the winter, I use a small ceramic heater plugged into the hot outlet of the temp controller.

I lager in my keezer (A chest freezer) so that I don't have to commit my "fermenchamber" to long periods of sub ale temps.

If my $50.00 upright dies, I'll look for another one on CL or just bite the bullet and buy a new one if need be. While I haven't done it yet, eventually I'll likely get a conical which will also be a good pairing with the upright freezer.

I've heard of the original swamp cooler as you mentioned Puddlejumper.

So what is the proper term for a tub of water with rotated ice bottles? This is what I learned here is a swamp cooler. Thermal mass cooler might be appropriate I suppose...

I've heard of the original swamp cooler as you mentioned Puddlejumper.

So what is the proper term for a tub of water with rotated ice bottles? This is what I learned here is a swamp cooler. Thermal mass cooler might be appropriate I suppose...

Heck, I haven't a clue! Your idea of calling it a "thermal mass cooler" sounds good to me! :tank:

I've spent time on the east coast and after living there for a few years can easily understand why they're unheard of in that part of the country. They simply wouldn't do any good. Out here it's dryer than a pop-corn fart so they work great. And they run a lot cheaper than A/C to boot.

We're wanting to get out of this high humidity area! Were looking into moving to VA until we figured out the cost for movers, our expenses, and what it would cost there (much higher cost of living). So we are moving an hour north and getting 1* cooler and maybe 5% less humidity for now! Ha!

CO is the furtherest west I've been that I recall (military brat).

I've been to Phoenix. That's even drier than a pop-corn fart I'd imagine! Ha ha!

Last summer, living in temporary arraignments with most of my gear in storage, I solved the temperature problem in Texas summers by brewing saisons. Saison yeast is like a honey badger- it just don't care.

Okay... If you live in Texas, it gets hot in the summer. If you want to brew in the summer, you need to get something like an upright freezer or fridge for fermentation temp control. You might be able to get by with a swamp cooler like setup or, if your fermentation vessel in small enough, a cooler and swapping out ice bottles etc... It's unlikely that your AC will keep a room cool enough unless you intentionally cooled a room that way somehow.

For me, the ~$50.00 Craigs List Upright freezer and STC-1000 temp controller did the trick. I brew 10+ gallon batches now and cant imagine anything less working out as good. BTW, I did use a cooler with ice bottles and a Mr. Beer LBK just fine before stepping up to what I have now and I have never looked back!

+1 to spending the bux on a freezer/fridge and temp controller. I have an old freezer in my side-yard next to the house with a batch of IPA bubbling away with Nottingham yeast at about 58F. Tomorrow's forecast is 107F. I'm going to head out to the farm and do some tractor work early then head home and watch some golf (too damned hot to play). Not a care in the world about that beer in the fermenter because I know it will be just fine.

+1 on the ferm fridge/freezer. I love lagers and live in south Texas. I added a mini fridge and temp controller and could not be happier! I might move to a chest freezer to do larger batches soon.

107*!?!? Dadgum!

LOL. Ya, but it's a dry heat so it doesn't bother us too much. We'll be putting a new roof on the barn pretty soon and if I can start early in the day I'm good up to 105. Anything over that is too hot to work.

When I was a kid working in the orchards 110F wasn't all that bad. Now, after passing 60 a few years ago, I've noticed that I'm getting a little soft.

Well summer is approaching, and I find myself almost out if beer. I started being last fall so I've not had a summer brew yet. How do I keep the fermentation at the right temperature during the warm months. The guys at the homebrew shop suggested ice blocks and towels, but that sounds like a pain. What's the easiest cheapest way to hold the right temp for fermentation?

"Easy" and "cheap" very seldom coincide. ;)

I'll second (or third, or whatever) the fridge-and-temperature-controller notion. It is the single most important improvement you'll make in your brewing. Not going all-grain or whatever - yeast management and temperature control.

The first thing a brewer must master is sanitation. The second is yeast/ferment management. Period.

My dirty little pro-brewer secret: I continued to brew at home when I started in brewing professionally at a packaging brewery, because I wanted more variety than I could get from our company labels. But brewing all-grain takes all damn day whether you're doing 5 gallons or 30bbl, and I for durn tootin' wasn't going to blow a Saturday doing what I did Monday through Friday! So I brewed with extracts and specialty grains. I also started entering competitions and winning awards. Why? Because I'd learned yeast management and temperature control.

I lived in a second-floor apartment with no access to any sort of basement. It was summer in eastern Pennsylvania, during which temperatures regularly top 100F. It's also usually 80-90% humidity, because we were in a river valley. So swamp cooling was out. Plus I was at the brewery 10 hours a day, so there was no swapping out frozen bottles.

Twice a year in that town, the trash blokes had a "you put it out, we'll take it away". The only thing they drew the line at was human corpses and cars. We poor folks would go a-scavenging the evening before and before dawn on the day. :) I was actually looking for living-room furniture when I saw a man hauling a fridge to his curb. I asked him if it worked. He said, "Sure. Just don't need it anymore." So I helped him put it into the bed of my pickup. I loved that early-1970s avocado monstrosity.

(These were the days before Craigslist. Nowadays you can find fridges for free, usually with the proviso that you haul it away.)

Now I had a way to "jacket" my fermenter. So we hauled it up my stairs and put it in the spare bedroom. I immediately started using it. But it didn't work according to plan! The temperature differential swing was massive. The first beer stalled, because it got too cold. The second beer went wild, because it didn't get cold enough. So I made a temperature controller out of a Johnson Controls digital controller.

(These were the days before you could buy them ready-made from homebrew shops.)

The first beer fermented in that fridge won a competition. Not best in show, but its BJCP category. And it used no grains at all. It was 100% extract. Not only that, it was a hopped extract kit! (Okay, it was a Euro-pils kit I dry-hopped with a random handful of Mt Hood pellets. And I used some 1056 from work. But it was still an all-extract, no-boil kit that won Blonde Ale in that competition!)

TL;DR: Get a used fridge, install it with one of these, and figure out how to use it. It's the single most important investment in brewing equipment you can make.

Cheers,

Bob

Here in central California a "swamp cooler" is an evaporative cooler, usually about 3' square and mounted on the roof. It has a squirrel-cage fan inside. The fan draws air through pads of either balsam or foam that are soaked with water. The cooled air is then blown through ducts to cool the interior of a home. Until air conditioning became readily available and affordable its all we had. And because the relative humidity here is rarely over 25% in the summertime they work pretty well.

So I got on this forum and guys were saying I needed to rig up a swamp cooler to keep ferment temperatures in line. Took a while to figure out just what kind of contraption they were talking about. :confused:

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back