Summer ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siobhan

Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe to drink this summer. I like partial mash, but can only handle about 4# grain, max. It has to be an ale, as I'm not set up for lagers. Probably around 5% abv. And I'd like it to be fairly gold, I've only done brown/red ales and stouts so far.

Another issue is 'The Great Hops Divide' - I like a moderate amount of hops, HWMO is very anti-hop, pro-malt. He's not a brewer (or much of a beer drinker) and I've explained to him that "If on a scale of 1-9, 1 being no hops and 9 being hops slam, I've been brewing 4s. Next one's a 6. Hope you like it." Incidentally, I don't know my way around IBUs very well - what would this kind of range be?

I want to use flavoring hops with a good grapefruit/citrus tang. I don't think I'm going for a cream ale, but maybe an American pale? There are a ton of recipes out there and I'm having trouble finding the right one.

Thanks.

here's a recipe I just brewed for a summer ale, it's all grain but you could probably get rid of two or so pounds of pale ale malt for some gold or pilsner LME of the same weight.

6 lbs pale ale malt
.5 lbs red wheat
1 lb clover honey
1 oz challenger at 60
.5 oz challenger at 30
.5 oz challenger at 5
1 oz saaz at 5
White labs east coast ale

7.0 lbs 2 row
.33lbs carapils
.50lbs crystal 40 or .33 crystal 60

I use. 75 oz pearle at 60
1oz cascade at 15
Irish moss at 15min
1oz cascade at 5min to flame out....a few every 15 sec like dogfish continual hppping to keep me entertained.

S-05 or 1056 yeast.

Mash at 152. For 60.

This is one of my favorites. Good crisp citrus hop, not overpowering, low abv for summer and delicious.

I based this off BMs. 10g and tweaked it to be a lkttle lighter lower alcohol. Done 3 batches of it and planning another now.

If you're looking for a citrusy flavor from the hops, I might suggest checking into Citra hops if you can get your hands on them. I made a Citra/Golden Promise SMaSH a few months ago and it came out with a distinctive grapefruit flavor :D

is HWBO anti hops on the bitterness or flavor? I'd consider doing an all late hopped brew and seeing how that goes over, I'm guessing it'll turn out he likes hops
http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Also, how come you can only do 4# mash? Unless you only have a 2gal pot, you should be able to fit more in there. check out this calculator to figure out how much you can actualyl fit: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

A good pale ale never hurts on a warm day.

I love Cream Ales and a good Kolsch, too.

I'm also going to make a blood orange hefe for this summer.

Thanks, good suggestions.

I use a small 2gal pot for my Deathbrewer mini-mash, because it fits a really efficient styrofoam box that I put it in to keep warm. Temp hardly drops at all. Then I do the teabag dip and transfer into the large kettle for my boil. I probably need a second big kettle someday, but then I'll have to figure out how to keep my mash warm.

HWMO hates bitterness, primarily. I've been keeping it down for him, but you need a thirst quencher for summer.

Check Midwest Pete's Wicked Ale.. You can drive over there and pick it up. Great summer brown and has been a favorite of mine and friends for years.

Palmer has a great apa recipe in his book. I also have a good extract/steep cascade ipa if you're interested in that...
Going to try that in an AG version this weekend

here's mine...might put some of the 60 min hops towards the end, but it needs some bitterness for balance...

Grains:
2.0 lb Two Row - 2L
2.0 lb Vienna - 4L
0.5 lb Crystal 60L - 60L

Extract:
3.0 lb Plain Extra-Light DME

Hops:
1.00 oz Cascade 6.0% AA - 60 min (19.7 IBU)
0.75 oz Cascade 6.0% AA - 20 min
0.75 oz Cascade 6.0% AA - 15 min
0.75 oz Cascade 6.0% AA - Dry hop (last 7 days in primary)

:mug:

edit: forgot to mention, nice citrus hopping, very smooth bittering from such a low AA, nice subtle malt flavor...wife loves it

Fremont Brewing in Seattle has released a Summer brew called Summer Solstice. The ingredients are uber-simple. 2-row to hit ~5% and Amarillo hops to, I'd say, around 32-38 IBU. No specialty malts, no hop variety blending. Theirs may be hopped more agressively, but mid-30 IBU would be a good place to start.

Its a wonderful citrusy, simple beer - its strange, but it seems its complexity comes from its simplicity (I realize that is conflicting). Like a glass of tangerine. I'm fermenting a clone of it right now. Can't wait to try my version.

Just sub out some of the grain for LME or DME to hit 5% & you'll be set.

Since there is not too many flavors to cover any issues with your brewing/fermenting process, this would be a good brew to check your brewing chops.

jknapp, when are you hopping this super simple beer? seems like a great recipe to see the characteristics of several different hops. cascade brew vs amarillo vs something else tasty.

jknapp, when are you hopping this super simple beer? seems like a great recipe to see the characteristics of several different hops. cascade brew vs amarillo vs something else tasty.

I'm a no-chill brewer, so my hop times are adjusted. Here's how I hopped for no chill:

(unadjusted hop times are in parens)

Amarillo AA = 8.2%
.25 oz FWH (5 min)
.50 oz 40 min (60 min)
.65 oz cube hop (20 min)
.30 oz dry hop (dry hop)

8.5# US 2 Row

70% Eff, 1.040 SG

If you're interested I'll let you know how it turns out & let you know if I'd change anything. I'll be cold crashing later this week, then kegging.

Jknapp said:
I'm a no-chill brewer, so my hop times are adjusted. Here's how I hopped for no chill:

(unadjusted hop times are in parens)

Amarillo AA = 8.2%
.25 oz FWH (5 min)
.50 oz 40 min (60 min)
.65 oz cube hop (20 min)
.30 oz dry hop (dry hop)

8.5# US 2 Row

70% Eff, 1.040 SG

If you're interested I'll let you know how it turns out & let you know if I'd change anything. I'll be cold crashing later this week, then kegging.

Lol, when this came through on my email it didn't have the decimals before the hop amounts. I thought you must have been brewing a 500 gallon batch!

Latest posts

Back