Summer Ale - help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrden

Reaction score
I made a Summer Ale. Mostly Belgian Pilsner grain with Perle and Saez hops. It’s already kegged. It doesn’t have any off flavors, but lacks something. It has a citrus flavor. Is it worth trying to dry hop something in the keg? I’ve never done this before. Suggestions? Thanks.

I actually just did this a few weeks ago when I had the same issue with a wit. You could totally infuse some coriander or other spice like Paradise Seed in the keg. I roughly crushed about 2oz of Coriander in a spice grinder and toasted them in a pan. The toasting process helps sterilize them as well as releasing volitile oils. Then put them in a sanitized hop bag with a sanitized marble to weigh it down. The bag hangs out down by the dip tube so when you pull a pint it passes through the coriander.

I use hibiscus in my summer wheat ale. You could boil some in cup of water and add it to the keg

I actually just did this a few weeks ago when I had the same issue with a wit. You could totally infuse some coriander or other spice like Paradise Seed in the keg. I roughly crushed about 2oz of Coriander in a spice grinder and toasted them in a pan. The toasting process helps sterilize them as well as releasing volitile oils. Then put them in a sanitized hop bag with a sanitized marble to weigh it down. The bag hangs out down by the dip tube so when you pull a pint it passes through the coriander.

Sam Adam's Summer Ale has Paradise seed to give it that bit of something... if that is something you care to aim for. I have only ever added it to the boil, so I can't offer a suggestion on how to add that in a sanitized manner that would keep the flavor.

Sam Adam's Summer Ale has Paradise seed to give it that bit of something... if that is something you care to aim for. I have only ever added it to the boil, so I can't offer a suggestion on how to add that in a sanitized manner that would keep the flavor.
Vodka tincture!

With that, it's also easy to check with one glass if it suits the beer or not. Just a few drops in the glass, swirl, taste test. Doesn't fit, it's a beer, not a.... Whatever grains of paradise is used for.

Go for the dry hop, that should work!

Vodka tincture!
I just added GOP in the fermentor to a summer ale and took a chance at a direct addition of the seed (crushed in a mortar) without any additional sanitation steps, added after beer was at about 5.5% ABV. Also added citrus zest (lemon, lime, and orange). Kegged 6 days later, and all good.

I just added GOP in the fermentor to a summer ale and took a chance at a direct addition of the seed (crushed in a mortar) without any additional sanitation steps, added after beer was at about 5.5% ABV. Also added citrus zest (lemon, lime, and orange). Kegged 6 days later, and all good.
Takes time... Sometimes weeks Sometimes months, Sometimes only days till infections show their face. Sometimes nothing happens, lucky little accidents. At the end bad practice because of high risk of contamination (ask me how I know....).

Last edited:
Back