Sulphor/Rotten Egg Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew44

Reaction score
Just brewed a batch of AVB Summer Solstice, used California Lager yeast and now that fermintation started there is a Sulphor/Rotten Egg smell coming from the airlock...could it be a characterstic of the yeast or something? Or is it a goner?

Thanks.

I use the California lager yeast ( WY 2112) pretty frequently, and I've never experienced sulfur produced from it. I'm not condemning your batch, just confirming that what you are experiencing is unusual

The rotten egg smell is normal for lager yeast. Just give it time, it will dissipate.

Is it a bad smell, or did you actually open it and get a nose burn from the carbon dioxide? Both have happened to me... The latter so much more though. Better send the entire batch to me though, just to be sure.

I had the same thing happen to me fairly recently. Stunk up the entire closet and even the bedroom and connecting living room. With that being said, I just let it go and the smell eventually went away after a few days. I let the primary air out a little before I bottled and I tried the batch for the first time two weeks ago, tastes AMAZING!! So relax, it'll be good

Latest posts

Back