Sulphite addition when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ulster0

Reaction score
Hi all
To follow on from my recent post regarding sulphite (sulfite?) Test kits......
Am I worrying unduly about sulphite levels?
Most recipes I have seen suggest adding Camden tabs each racking and bottling, but with no reference to free s02 levels or any kind of measurements.
The info I've been looking at after many hours on the net is suggesting taking more care with the dosing. I have a formula for the required additions of Potassium Metabisulphite and ph test kit, but am struggling to fond a straightforward test for free s02 accurate for red wine?
Many sources make it clear that it's important to know free s02 content but the info on how to test for it seems hard to come by.
For now I've added a 1/16 teaspoon dose of Potassium Metabisulphite to each gallon of my wines which are ageing. This was based on anecdotal evidence on various forums.
Know when I come to bottle later I'm going to need to know how much (if any) more to add to ensure free s02 is at the correct level, hence the dilemma! !!!
Is it commonplace to just add a similar dose as a precaution without worrying about actual levels or do most users here actually measure levels and then add a calculated dose?
I may just be worrying unnecessarily, but I dont want to spoil a batch of aeged wine by over or under sulphiting!!!
Any advice or tips will be gratefully received.
Thanks
Steve.

Hi all
To follow on from my recent post regarding sulphite (sulfite?) Test kits......
Am I worrying unduly about sulphite levels?
Most recipes I have seen suggest adding Camden tabs each racking and bottling, but with no reference to free s02 levels or any kind of measurements.
The info I've been looking at after many hours on the net is suggesting taking more care with the dosing. I have a formula for the required additions of Potassium Metabisulphite and ph test kit, but am struggling to fond a straightforward test for free s02 accurate for red wine?
Many sources make it clear that it's important to know free s02 content but the info on how to test for it seems hard to come by.
For now I've added a 1/16 teaspoon dose of Potassium Metabisulphite to each gallon of my wines which are ageing. This was based on anecdotal evidence on various forums.
Know when I come to bottle later I'm going to need to know how much (if any) more to add to ensure free s02 is at the correct level, hence the dilemma! !!!
Is it commonplace to just add a similar dose as a precaution without worrying about actual levels or do most users here actually measure levels and then add a calculated dose?
I may just be worrying unnecessarily, but I dont want to spoil a batch of aeged wine by over or under sulphiting!!!
Any advice or tips will be gratefully received.
Thanks
Steve.

Over-sulphiting is less of a concern than under-sulphiting for long term storage. The "rule-of-thumb" of one campden tablet per gallon at bottling is going to get you somewhere around 50 ppm of free SO2, a good number.

If you smell a strong sulfite oder, you can simply stir and sit for a while. Sulfite comes out of the wine fairly easily when exposed to air, after all, that is its job!

Many thanks for the reply.
I've ordered up some accurate scales and a digital ph meter and will use the dose of Potassium Metabisulphite as previously calculated and stop worrying about it so much!!!
Am I correct in thinking that decanting a wine when opening will help some of the sulphite dissappear?
Sulphite or sulfite? Is it the same, just UK and US difference?

Regards and thanks
Steve.

Am I correct in thinking that decanting a wine when opening will help some of the sulphite dissappear? YES
Sulphite or sulfite? Is it the same, just UK and US difference? YES

Back