Sulfur soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaptainKarl

Reaction score
A few years back I made an ok root beer with extract, cane sugar and ale yeast. Carved in 2liter bottles.

I tried last month, and it stank to high heaven. We almost gagged after cracking the lid because the sulfur was so high, and it did not dissipate. I used safale05.

Last week, I tried again. Champagne yeast, meticulous sanitation. Same results. I had to dump it.

I did not have this problem before, and am trying to identify what in the world is going on.

Is the problem old extract? I boiled it in the sugar water to kill anything off, but...

Sorry if this has been answered. It is mentioned in old threads, but there was nothing definitive. Maybe there is nothing definitive. Thanks!

The "sulfur" smell is hydrogen sulfide. In this case the yeast are producing it because they don't have adequate nutrients.

See here:
https://***************.com/wiki/Hydrogen_sulfide

A good combination of yeast nutrients will prevent that issue, like Go-Ferm + Fermaid O.

Cheers

That seems to have done the trick! I added DAP, and the sulfur stink is much abated. I'll adjust the dose next time. Thanks!

Back