Sulfur smell from trying to halt fermentation? How to fix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexadecimus

Reaction score
So I had a couple of amazing tasting ciders going and this guy tells me I can halt fermentation to keep them a little sweet instead of back sweetening. Okay, that sounds good and he seems to know what he's talking about.

So, following his instructions, I racked onto k-meta and k-sorbate then cold crashed. This batch was about 7.5% potential and "stabilized" at 5% which he said would ride out to about 6.5%. The result of his instructions was turning the most amazing tasting batch of cider I've made yet into a very chilly jug of horribly sulfurous bilge water.

I guess this just served to stress the yeast terribly instead of halting fermentation, so I let it warm up to a very cool fermentation temp and added nutrient to try to minimize the stressing.

I'll just keep doing what I know for the other batches instead of taking "advice" lol. But what about this batch? It's pretty rank stuff at the moment. Is it ruined? What can I do to fix this? I've heard of adding pure copper or silver, but I don't really feel like adding copper(II) sulfate (weed killer) to it.

Thanks in advance

While you might get a few people here that can help you with this you might have better luck if you post it in the cider forums a little further down the list.

Stopping fermentation is like stopping a fright train. Let the yeast ride out until all sugars are fermented and back sweeten to taste.

Sry i know this doesn't help but i would think this batch is ruined, or is not worth time/effort.

k-meta, depending on how much you added, is going to release S02 (sulfur dioxide) in to the must (is that the term for cider?) If you added way too much I wouldnt be surprised that it's perceptible. I think the smell might go away pretty quickly as the CO2 and SO2 off-gasses from the Cider. The taste though, I don't really know.

Latest posts

Back