Sulfur smell from trying to halt fermentation? Fixes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hexadecimus

Reaction score
So I had a couple of amazing tasting ciders going and this guy tells me I can halt fermentation to keep them a little sweet instead of back sweetening. Okay, that sounds good and he (seemed to) know what he's talking about.

So, following his instructions, I racked onto k-meta and k-sorbate then cold crashed. This batch was about 7.5% potential and "stabilized" at 5% which he said would ride out to about 6.5%. The result of his instructions was turning the most amazing tasting batch of cider I've made yet into a very chilly jug of horribly sulfurous bilge water.

I guess this just served to stress the yeast terribly instead of halting fermentation, so I let it warm up to a very cool fermentation temp and added nutrient to try to minimize the stressing.

I'll just keep doing what I know for the other batches instead of taking "advice" lol. But what about this batch? It's pretty rank stuff at the moment. Is it ruined? What can I do to fix this? I've heard of adding pure copper or silver, but I don't really feel like adding copper(II) sulfate (weed killer) to it.

Thanks in advance

Batch btw was 1 gal of cider with pulp + 1 can AJ, Lalvin EC-1118, 60-64°F temp, glass jug. 1 tsp initial nutrient, 1/4 tsp 2 days in, Aerated/degassed until 1/3 which was 2 days after signs of initial fermentation, finished in 3 days.

I've heard of siphoning it through copper tube so that the sulfur binds to the copper. I know the copper sulfate is used in wine making, but wow, just sounds like some nasty stuff to be consuming IMO.

Since it's pretty smelly at this point, I would think the best thing to do would be to continue to aerate/degas it more. Even splash/pour through a mess strainer into another vessel. Of course this will be introducing a lot of O2, so it would have to be consumed pretty quickly.

There's no real way of stopping 1118 when it gets going.

The k-meta has sulphites in it, might be adding to the smell. How long has it aged? After using kmeta and sorbate I give my stuff about 2 weeks before I check on it again.

Mine was skeeter pee that turned out pretty well, but never used it on my ciders.

Def the best thing to do is age it.

sorbate has a distinctive taste anyway, but in a case like this it's most likely the stressed yeast combined with the sorbate causing the issue.

Maybe some yeast nutrients could help, and you could try some splash racking and then seeing if the off aroma dissipates.

Latest posts

Back