sulfur smell after kegging and dryhopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrotpoet

Reaction score
Has anybody run into this issue? I brewed a basic pale ale with US05, used plenty of yeast, aerated with oxygen, fermented for 12 days (1.068 to 1.011) then cold crashed, fined with gelatin and started dry-hopping in keg with an ounce of centennial and ounce of simcoe. Smelled and tasted fine going into the keg!

About a week or so after dry hopping the beer began to develop a strong sulfur smell. My wife thought it smelled like sewer. I lean more toward rotten eggs. It's been getting stronger and stronger over the past few days. There was no trace of this smell during fermentation or when I racked it to the keg.

Any ideas? As it wasn't there initially I'm leaning towards an infection.

I don't rack to a secondary fermenter unless it's going to be longer than four weeks. As such, when I dry hop there is still plenty of yeast in suspension, which will overwhelm any nasties that might hitch a ride on the hops. When I'm ready to clarify, I rack the beer off the hops and yeast cake, rest it for a couple days, add my clarifying agent, rest another day, and then keg. I haven't had an infection problem yet.

--
th Cap'n in Portland, Oregon

Back