Sulfur Flavor in Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vin8n1

Reaction score
Hey all, i had been having issues with oxidation in my beers. So on my last brew, i modified my process as well as added some SMB at packaging for insurance. Added less than 1g (not exact measurement) to 4.5 gal of finished beer. (Brulosophy showed up to 3g/5gal with no perceivable differences).
Anyways, it smells like rotten egg. (It does slightly decrease the longer i leave it out, but still noticeable). Could it be due to ingredients or fermentation? Did i do something wrong? Is there anything i can do to get rid of the smell? Thanks!

Last edited:
Every fermentation produces some H2S. But it's usually below taste threshold. Common causes of excess H2S include:

- Nitrogen (Amino Acid) Deficiency
- Low Yeast Pitch Rates
- Excess SO2 (e.g. from Metabisulfites)

Assuming you didn't use full-on low oxygen brewing techniques, there is probably enough O2 in your beer to reduce the H2S sulfur compounds over time. Normally, you don't want any dissolved oxygen in the finished beer, but fixing an excess of H2S is a rare exception where its presence is actually beneficial, all things considered.

Besides O2, some trace metals, like copper, can also reduce the H2S. If you run out of patience, you could, as a last resort, try gently stirring the beer with a cleaned and sanitized length of copper tubing, something like a straightened piece of 3/8” OD copper refrigeration coil can work.

(Brulosophy showed up to 3g/5gal with no perceivable differences).

Well that'll learn ya.
ETA: 3 grams per 5 gallons sounds like a **** ton. Are you sure they didn't test something like 0.3 grams? Either way, if you're going to dose with Metabisulfites, I'd recommend getting advice from the LODO crowd rather than Brulosophy.

Last edited:
Given the apparent surprise ending for the OP I gotta believe the sulphurous emanations are from the SMB at packaging which appears to be the only change in the end-to-end process used. Also, in my own case having never used SMB - period - and never having produced a similarly sulfurous brew - I'm comfortable with that knee-jerk association...

Cheers! (Prove me wrong ;))

Last edited:
I would try pouring a beer and stirring it for a second with a piece of copper. Next hoppy beer you do you should try adding ascorbic acid (vitamin c) it should protect from oxidization without the sulpheric off-flavors. Check out this thread: Vitamin C - The Game Changer?

ETA: 3 grams per 5 gallons sounds like a **** ton. Are you sure they didn't test something like 0.3 grams? Either way, if you're going to dose with Metabisulfites, I'd recommend getting advice from the LODO crowd rather than Brulosophy.

Like this one? exBEERiment | Cold-Side Oxidation: Impact Of Dosing American IPA With Sodium Metabisulfite At Packaging

"I added a 0.3 grams of SMB, the recommended amount to counteract oxygen ingress for 5 gallons/19 liters of beer."

I dosed my last batch of NEIPA with 1/2 of a Campden Tablet in a 2.5 gallon batch when I added the dry hops. Hard to say if it helped, but I don't get any Sulfur character.

The thing is, the "safe" amount of meta to add would depend largely on how much oxygen is in (or will be acquired by) the beer.

The thing is, the "safe" amount of meta to add would depend largely on how much oxygen is in (or will be acquired by) the beer.

Is it 1) if you have a lot of oxygen then that will produce more sulfur or 2) if you have very little oxygen then the sulfur will not be used up leaving sulfur character?

Well if you kegged, purge the headspace every couple of days. It should reduce over time. If you bottled, I have no idea.

Well if you kegged, purge the headspace every couple of days. It should reduce over time.

That would work, but I think it would be pretty slow, assuming that the purge cycles are the only thing reducing the H2S.

I think a more effective (faster) way to do it would be to attach a spunding valve set at, say, 2 PSI, wait until the valve closes, then (fast force) recarbonate. H2S will have come out right along with the CO2. (Not because CO2 is "scrubbing" it, but because H2S is subject to the same gas laws as CO2.)

If you run out of patience, you could, as a last resort, try gently stirring the beer with a cleaned and sanitized length of copper tubing, something like a straightened piece of 3/8” OD copper refrigeration coil can work.

This.

Had it happen on something light I made once. Noticeable sulfur on pour, more aroma than flavor. I just cleaned a pc of 3/8 copper tubing and put it in the glass and poured over it, then removed it immediately, and it solved the problem. I did not want to try the other copper suggestion of cleaning a penny and tossing it in the keg. Nor did I want to burp the keg daily for a week or two hoping the sulfur would fade. Also a tactic I read about.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Im gonna wait a little to see if oxygenation or the yeast will neutralize the sulfur smell.

the sulfur smell has decreased with time so that the beer is now drinkable. Maybe not totally gone, but barely perceptible.

Back