Suggestions needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caburdet78

Reaction score
Have a cider which I fermented with Trappist Ale yeast and I want to add something to secondary to make the taste a bit more complex...suggestions?

You could boil the quarter ounce in a cup of water extract to open it up and release the flavor and tannins and add just a little of the water to taste so you don't over oak it

Do your taste tests seem thin on moutfeel? Could do 4oz of maltodextrine to help.. won't get any sweetness.. could do lactose for subtle sweetness and mouthfeel..

Ferment another batch using different kind of apple juice and mix with the previous one.

So I added some mulled cider spices to the carboy and they have been there for maybe a week or so...was thinking of racking it and adding some vanilla bean to soak in it...thought?

may add some lactose before bottling

You might want to do a taste test & see where the spice flavour profile is. Hope you're using whole/cracked/sliced spices instead of powdered; or at least put the powdered stuff in a teabag sort of thing.
Regards, GF.

image-3149835043.jpg

Pulled a sample last night...
Added more mulled cider spices
Want to add something to round out the taste

You might try a vanilla bean, split & scraped. Or you might try adding a pound of LME, or even some fruit(s) like raisins, dates, figs. I've "dry-hopped" with sachets of caraway seed, I think caraway goes with apple like butter goes with bread. I like to use a heaping tablespoon of caraway seed in 6 gallons of cider, I usually leave it in for 2 or 3 weeks, but I've left in longer too, for more caraway flavour. You could also add a bit of wine tannin if you wanted.
Regards, GF.

Back