Suggestions for WLP380 Heffweizzen IV extract recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juagula

Reaction score
Hello!

I am bottling a weissen next week and I think it would be a pitty to leave the fermentor and the yeast cake at its bottom lazy during my whole christmas vacation. It would be nice to find a completely fermented beer at my return. Any suggestions on how to use that yeast? Since now I'm fermenting a quite standard weissen, I would like something darker and bigger for the next one. What can I do using extract for next batch? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!:mug:

WLP 380 is one where pitch rate is really important. If you pitch something on the yeast cake, you'll probably lose all of the yeast flavors.

I'd measure out an appropriate amt of slurry and pitch it into something like a dunkelweizen.

The idea is to get something in short working time, I already have another brewday planned for next week. The yeast has been doing very good job, and the cake in the bottom looks thick, uniform and nice.

I like both ideas, but I have some worries: Too sweet for the dunkel? Will banana fit in the dubbel?

If I go for the dubbel, what do you think about this simple recipe below modified with some more hops?

4.0 lb Amber DME
3.25 lb Munich Liquid Extract
1.0 lb Jaggery

Hops

2.0 oz Hallertau (US) 60 min -> increase to 3 or 4 oz?

Yeasts

Abbey Ale Yeast White Labs WLP530 -> Change by wlp380
Predicted Stats

Batch Size 5.0 gal
Boil Time 60 min
1.066 OG 1.015 FG 24 IBU 6.7% ABV 12 SRM 0.37 IBU/OG

Back