Suggestions for Summer 2015 beers!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris7687

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I finally did it... Popped the question to my girlfriend of 8 years. Ya, ya I know it took me long enough! The next step, what to brew for the wedding!?!? I want to distribute 6 packs as part of our wedding gifts to guests. Right now the wedding list is 140 people, so that's a hefty amount of beer! The problem with that is, it's going to take me a while to brew that all up seeing my largest batch size is 15 gallons... What I was hoping to get some input on is what beers should I be brewing now that could store that long?

Currently, I have 5 gallons (which is nothing in the big picture) of a Belgian Strong ale which will be secondaried with Rum and Pineapple, which I plan to bottle and age for the wedding. The problem with this beer is it won't be enjoyed by many, as they don't have the pallet for the big beers. I was thinking lagers, which gives me the excuse for a second fermentation chamber! Any other suggestions though? I really love IPA's, but clearly the aroma and flavor won't hold that long. I will maybe brew 1-2 batches of an IPA 2 months before the wedding.

Cheers!

A 6 pack is a lot of beer. How about a 4 pack and follow the bridal rhyme.

Something Old: Old World Lager
Something New: American IPA or APA
Something Borrowed: Use a Friend's Beer Recipe (Maybe Amber Ale, Dark Wheat Ale)
Something Blue: Blue Moon Clone (i.e. Witbier)

All would be appropriate for Summer Beers. If my math is correct 140 people at 12 oz is 13 gallons. You said that you can brew 15 gallons at a time. The Lager, APA and Blue Moon are all normal gravity beers so that would make brewing easier. Brew the Lager first since it can sit for a while. Brew the Friend's recipe second. Witbier third and IPA/APA last to get the most hop aroma.

Just throwing something out.

I would say lots of lager since that's what most non-craft beer folks like. Also maybe a couple of different summer wheat beers - same reason. Then a pale ale and an IPA that you bottle a month before the wedding. Have a case or two of that belgian and maybe a funky porter or stout just for those who will appreciate it. So here is my totally scientific, statistically accurate breakdown of your selections:

30% lager
30% summer wheat
15% pale ale
15% IPA
10% Porter/stout/Belgian/fun&funky brews

The most important thing is that one of these brews must be a custom designed brew specifically for your future wife, made to her specific tastes and it must use her name in the title with a custom label. This will make up for the time leading up to the wedding when you are busy brewing instead of helping her choose flower arrangements for the tables. It will also ensure that all the other wives at the wedding will elbow their husbands and say, "That's so sweet. Why haven't you done that for me?". Best get started now.

I suggest 22oz bombers of your favorite brew. A 6-pack is a ton ;)

Second.

Don't do a hoppy beer because it won't be well received by the masses. Something malty and unassuming is the best way to go. I made a summer ale for my daughter's baptism and it went over very well, but it only aged for about 2 months. Much longer than that and it would have been on its way out, I'm sure. Half the base grain was wheat.

Something Borrowed: Use a Friend's Beer Recipe (Maybe Amber Ale, Dark Wheat Ale)

All would be appropriate for Summer Beers. If my math is correct 140 people at 12 oz is 13 gallons. You said that you can brew 15 gallons at a time. The Lager, APA and Blue Moon are all normal gravity beers so that would make brewing easier. Brew the Lager first since it can sit for a while. Brew the Friend's recipe second. Witbier third and IPA/APA last to get the most hop aroma.

That is pretty clever. With labels you could really make that nice.

Congratulations!
For the general masses, Wayne/Nilo's Blue Moon clone has been a huge summer hit for me.
Another general pleaser has been Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde. Both of these recipes are on this forum. Then a little adventurous for the malt lovers- an English Brown or Irish Red.
Then still more adventure for the hop lovers- an IPA or APA

Thanks everyone for the input. I really like your idea TexBrewer! Definitely would be a good play with the labels too. I custom ordered the bottle caps already. I think this is a good route to go. Doing 2 less beers per person sounds like a lot less work for me! I'll do some 22oz bombers for the friends/family members who enjoy bigger/tastier beers. Thanks for all the input guys!

Now, where can I find a site that makes custom 4 pack carriers. Suggestions anyone?

I did a Xmas gift last year and ordered two bottle wine carriers. I'll do some digging to find the site. I can't remember if they do custom work. May have to do custom stickers to place on the carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Now, where can I find a site that makes custom 4 pack carriers. Suggestions anyone?

I did a Xmas gift last year and ordered two bottle wine carriers. I'll do some digging to find the site. I can't remember if they do custom work. May have to do custom stickers to place on the carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks everyone for the input. I really like your idea TexBrewer! Definitely would be a good play with the labels too. I custom ordered the bottle caps already. I think this is a good route to go. Doing 2 less beers per person sounds like a lot less work for me! I'll do some 22oz bombers for the friends/family members who enjoy bigger/tastier beers. Thanks for all the input guys!

Check out vendors. There is one that just does custom logo artwork for brewers.

How about a Berliner Weisse? Great summer beer you could brew now, and it should just get better with the age.

How about a Berliner Weisse? Great summer beer you could brew now, and it should just get better with the age.

I've enjoyed Berliner Weisse's before, but heard they are some what complicated to make and require a bacterial infection. I'll have to do some more research into these.

Back