Suggest A Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scutiger

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I've got a bunch of hops around and I've got a shortage on homebrew, so I'm looking to use them up. I'm looking for suggestions as far as hop schedules for different styles. I'm open to anything, and I need to buy the grain for whatever I end up making so that's not an issue. Here's what I've got on hand:

10 oz Willamette
9 oz Northern Brewer
1 oz East Kent Golding
1 oz Magnum
0.5 oz Warrior

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Willamette is basically just US-grown Fuggles, and you already have (a little) EKG. Plus you have Northern Brewer, which is very useful in English beer. So it looks like, in total, you definitely have the hops for an English ale, of basically whatever style you want. If you brewed in the next week, you could have a quick-fermenting moderate-gravity English beer done by early December, so anything from an ESB to a brown to a porter would (I think) be seasonally appropriate. EKG are the classic aroma and flavor hop for many English beers, so if you go for a bitter or an English IPA, you might need to pick up another ounce or two.

edit: Oh, and of course a steam beer would be an obvious choice, since the "traditional" hop (i.e. the one that Anchor uses) is Northern Brewer.

I've got a batch of Double-W Imperial Stout (don't recall whose, just search the recipes). It is based on Willamette, but I used a variety. I actually uber-hopped it to use up all of last years home grown harvest and it's phenomenal. I think 20oz might be too much, but I used 12oz of mostly high AAU varieties and it is nicely balanced with the malts.

Latest posts

Back