Sugars...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
What kinds of sugars has everyone used/tried? I'm considering jaggary, muscovado and others. Interested to see what other people have tried, as well as the results.

sucrose, dextrose, maltose, brown sugar, panela, liquid molasses, liquid beet sugar, Belgian rock sugar, turbinado sugar, probably some others I'm just not thinking of right now...

Brown sugar, dark Belgian candi sugar, clear Belgian candi sugar, dextrose, lactose, maltodextrin....

The clear Belgian candi sugar was pretty much the same as table sugar or dextrose. Nothing special added. I got some for Christmas so I dumped it in a brew.

I've mixed most of the others so I really have no idea what they have done for my beers on an individual basis.

I'm always looking for new ideas so I'll stay posted here.

Teromous, how was the panela?

It was hard as a rock when I got it, but boiling it in water got it pretty soft. You just have to keep moving it around and mashing at it, and it will eventually break down. It has a sort-of malty sweet taste to it, and it turns the water a murky brown color. I wouldn't use it for any lighter colored beers.

Sounds interesting, Teromous. Might have to try some this summer.
Rock, molasses has always been intriguing. I've been tempted to try some in a brown ale.

Back