Sugars in the boil.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chossy

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I see allot of people on youtube videos etc. lob in a wee bit candied sugar into their all grain boils, and I have been scouring through the forum reading other posts about other sugars etc. and I was wondering if people could add in some comments to this thread to help me collect peoples ideas and uses for different types of sugars. I would really appreciate it.

Should all the types of sugar I might want to use be added to the boil?

How long should they be boiled?

I have read syrups just get dumped in a stirred once you flame out?

Candied sugars are pretty much the same as table sugar minus some of the flavours that dark candied sugar can impart.

Generally sugars are used for your ABV, Belgian style beers, less body though and drier beer.

Thanks for anything you guys can think of / add to this or please correct anything that is way off.

I'm hoping to find a good book to read as well but these things change often and there are so many books people recommend so if you guys feel inclined please let me know any books you recommend which focus on styles and recipes / how different ingredients work together. I have the general technique and equipment OK so I really want to focus on flavours and ingredients now.

Sorry for such a long thread! I really appreciate anything you guys can add or tell me.

Sláinte

There are a bunch of different ways to deal with sugar additions. The way that you add it to the beer changes the flavor. If you add it to the boil you can caramelize it. If you add it at flame out you are just going to raise the OG of the beer, and provide flavoring. This is appropriate for brown sugar. The best way that I know of if you do not want to add flavor is to not add it to the boil, but at high krausen. Sugars that are added just for an ABV increase better assist the yeast by being added during fermentation, as you are allowing the yeast to not get stressed by such a high OG. You wait until high krausen, and add in your slurry of sugar water. I know a lot of people will add several additions to belgian beers so that they keep the yeast healthy. Keep in mind that when adding at high krausen you will enable a lower gravity for your beer which subsequently dries out your beer. It also thins out the body, as it is an adjunct.

Sugar is used for adding gravity to a beer without increasing the final gravity, this will dry out the beer. It can also be used to add flavor, mostly done in Belgian styles with dark candy sugars. I have heard that adding at flameout or at high krausen makes little difference in the flavor. So, the deciding factor for me is the initial yeast pitch rate, if you add sugar at flameout, you'll have to pitch more yeast.

Sent from my XT1034 using Home Brew mobile app

I like to add sugars when 2/3 of fermentation is done, less stress on the yeast. I boil them in minimal water first to make them easy to add. I make my own candi sugar, keep it in the freezer.

Radical brewing has great info. on adding sugars.

Latest posts

Back