Sugar on the bottle rim affect seal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dick562

Reaction score
I bottled and caps my brew and my bottles are not very carbonated. I opened one and it was flat so i opened another and there was crushed sugar on the bottle mouth could that cause a seal problem? I used 1/2 of table sugar for a I.P.A. If the problem is a bad seal could i just open them up and add more sugar and re cap them?

Sorry if these questions are too elementary -- just covering bases here...

How long has the beer been carbonating? If not three weeks, then be patient. ;)

Was the beer carbonating at or above room temperature? If not, the yeast might have been too busy shivering to carb your beer up.

Was the beer cold when you checked it? I've had beer that carbed better after 48 hours in the fridge.

I'm not sure sugar would be enough to prevent a good seal, but I've been wrong before!

so you are adding a measured about of sugar to each bottle (hence, the sugar granules on the on lip of the bottle)?

In addition to the suggestions by Justibone, you may want to consider batch priming the beer for bottling. Way more consistent. Your lack of carbonation may be due to inadequate amounts of sugar getting into the bottle.

If you post the details of your bottling procedure, that will help in diagnosing the problem(s)...

Back