Sugar is in the bottling bucket... Can't find my capper!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton178

Reaction score
so it's 8:30 and I just racked into the bottling bucket... A smile on my face and my bottles nice and sanitary. I went to grab my capper and... HORROR!! We recently moved and the capper is lost.
Are the yeasties going to eat the sugar too much before I can get everything in the bottle tomorrow?
The recipe is an extract from ahs for American wheat with a hefeweisen yeast. HELP!!:drunk:

pour it back into the carboy and put the lock back on it ;) that may not be a good idea but hey .....what do i know

Do you have a lid that will fit the bucket?

If so, just put the lid on (w/ airlock) and let the priming sugar ferment out (a couple days) then repeat the whole process when you get a capper.

Or go out and buy a bunch or grolsh and drink it up fast!

You sanitized the bottling bucket, right? Cover it in plastic wrap and sanitize your primary lid and airlock again then put them on your bottling bucket with your brew until you find your capper.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I feel like there are two different opinions going on here. If the sugar is in the brew for 12+ hours do I need to add more before I bottle or just go ahead and bottle without more sugars?

There isn't a lot of yeast left in the beer after you've racked it to the bottling bucket so you really don't need to worry about fermentation kicking off again as long as you can find your capper within the next day or two. Sanitation is of primary concern here. Whatever you do, though, don't put more sugar in it when you do bottle unless a couple of weeks have passed.

Thanks eddie. That was my initial thought but you helped to confirm. I'm going to bottle in the morning. Everything is pretty darn sanitary and I covered it up (with airlock).

Latest posts

Back