sugar curiosity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew101

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity...
- what is the difference in using powdered sugar instead of granulated?
- what is the difference in using brown sugar instead of granulated?

- By weight, nothing*.
- A very small amount of molasses.

*Edit: Per below, store-bought is 2-5% anti-caking agent such as corn starch. I've watched my wife make her own many times. In those cases, it's just granulated sugar in a food processor, no additives.

Last edited:
cost? i mean you CAN always run granulated sugar through a food processor for a while to make it a powder?

brown sugar just has some molasess coating...

so if you want powdered brown sugar, just run some granulated in a food processor, and add like a tblspn of molasses?

Per below, store-bought is 2-5% anti-caking agent such as corn starch. I've watched my wife make her own many times. In those cases, it's just granulated sugar in a food processor, no additives.

lol, anti-caking agent! in something mostly used for icing cakes!

i'd just say if you need some powdered sugar so it dissolves easily, and it won't be stored, seems better to go the homemade route?

i was more asking as far as in fermenting. is powdered sugar ok to add to primary?

*Edit: Per below, store-bought is 2-5% anti-caking agent such as corn starch.

i'd just say if you need some powdered sugar so it dissolves easily, and it won't be stored, seems better to go the homemade route?
i was more asking as far as in fermenting. is powdered sugar ok to add to primary?

this is just a guess from me, but if it does indeed have 2-5% corn starch i'd probably want to kiln it first at some temp 170f-190f....just to cook out the raw cereal grain taste

2-5% of the sugar at maybe 5-10% of the grist? 0.1-0.5% of the grist.

this was the mead forum...so i'm thinking one gallon and trying to max out the yeast? just need something that dissolves easily? throw some granulated sugar in the food proccessor, get it fine, add quick, put the air-lock back on and give it swirl? or two....

edit: (i just think of grist as a mash with enzymes at gel temps that will convert starch?)

Yep, yep. Didn't catch that.

what would your thoughts on invert, vs corn starch be? my thoughts on it are the cornstarch should settle out, but might leave some water/alcohol soluble flavors behind? if you just need something easily dissolvable, wouldn't making an invert syrup be best?

(all i'm trying to do is inspire creativity here. i think toasted corn flake flavor in what i imagine a mead tastes like would be good)

1656458741539.png

edit: by god's sake, it says no. 1 for taste!

Just out of curiosity...
- what is the difference in using powdered sugar instead of granulated?
- what is the difference in using brown sugar instead of granulated?

According to one of the brewing books I read a LONG time ago, dextrose is 9% water. So, you'd need to use roughly 10% more dextrose than table sugar (which has zero water).

Otherwise, for the purposes of brewing, they are the same. Yeast will reduce both to the same elements (dextrose might be marginally faster, but I challenge anyone to measure the difference).

According to one of the brewing books I read a LONG time ago, dextrose is 9% water. So, you'd need to use roughly 10% more dextrose than table sugar (which has zero water).

Otherwise, for the purposes of brewing, they are the same. Yeast will reduce both to the same elements (dextrose might be marginally faster, but I challenge anyone to measure the difference).

brown sugar is even more hygroscopic then table sugar, if the hard blocks it forms on me are any indication. and molasses is only about 60% fermentable i believe, so more mouth feel?

what would your thoughts on invert, vs corn starch be? my thoughts on it are the cornstarch should settle out, but might leave some water/alcohol soluble flavors behind? if you just need something easily dissolvable, wouldn't making an invert syrup be best?

I doubt it would affect flavor all that much at that amount. Starch might affect body, clarity, etc.

An easily dissolvable sugar for a mead? I'm going for more honey. Invert to help dry out a bochet, maybe?

Latest posts

Back