Sugar cubes for carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murphys_Law

Reaction score
I am going to bottle a batch and want to try the individual sugar cubes but can’t find the <3 gram cubes anywhere - including Amazon. The Domino Dots I see there are 453 grams.

Where do you guys (who do this) find the right size cubes!?

I am going to bottle a batch and want to try the individual sugar cubes but can’t find the <3 gram cubes anywhere - including Amazon. The Domino Dots I see there are 453 grams.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Domino-Dots-Sugar-Cubes-1-lb-Pack-of-12/17768249 It says they are no longer available. Don't know if that means just from Walmart, or if Domino has discontinued them. I bought a dozen boxes a few years ago when I was in Houston; I think I got them a Kroger. (Domino sugar isn't sold here)

Edit: here they are on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GG9IW9O/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use the 3.5 or 4 gram cubes. When carbing bottles individually I use 3/4 tsp sugar per bottle which is roughly 3.696 grams.

You can use the 3.5 or 4 gram cubes. When carbing bottles individually I use 3/4 tsp sugar per bottle which is roughly 3.696 grams.

That would work for 500ml Euro bottles, except they won't fit down the mouth of the bottle. The 198-per-pound cubes just barely fit. Two of the larger cubes works well for 1L plastic soda bottles.

Costco has them at a reasonable price. The small cubes just fit through the mouth of a 12 ounce bottle. You need to develop a rhythm using the cubes so you don't miss a bottle. I use BCC, BCC. Bottle Cube Cap, Bottle Cube Cap. The cube shows up very well in the bottle even in a dark beer if you think a bottle was missed.

I put the cube in after filling the bottle so as to not increase the head space by the volume of the cube.

That would work for 500ml Euro bottles, except they won't fit down the mouth of the bottle. The 198-per-pound cubes just barely fit. Two of the larger cubes works well for 1L plastic soda bottles.
The fit depends on how hard you swing the hammer.

453 grams is 1 pound. I’m pretty sure there are no cubes for sale that weigh 1 pound each. [emoji846]

Back