Sugar @ Bottom of Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silv3rstone

Reaction score
Hi all!

New brewer and am brewing an Irish Red Ale from Norther Brewer.

I've had the beer bottle condition for about two weeks now and thought I would crack one open to see where it's at (yes I know it was too early but I was bored and impatient...).

The flavor seemed right and as expected it was not carbonated enough.

What I did notice is that there seemed to be a lump of sugar at the bottom of the bottle. I did the whole water + sugar solution and added it to the beer and mixed it around before bottling but I was curious if this is normal prior to a full carbonation?

I took a look at the other bottles and they seem to have the same problem. Will I be ok with this or is there something I can do to fix it?

What you see is not sugar. It's yeast sediment. It's common to ALL bottle conditioned beers both craft and homebrew. It's really a necessary part of the process and can't be avoided.

Just pour to the shoulder, into a glass, leaving the yeast behind.

Any sugar was long since eaten by the yeast in order for the beer to carb.

Last edited by a moderator:
It shouldn't be sugar, it should be yeast! (taste it if you don't believe me)
Leave it alone (or shake it up if you like) for another week and carbonation should improve, but you will still have a little yeast at the bottom left over.

Remember also in Hefeweizen styles (and some others maybe?) the hip thing to do is to swirl up that yeast with the last inch or so of beer and dump it into the glass.

Delicious, AND full of vitamins!

Back