Sugar advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

des67

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here and to the world of homebrew:)

Seems like a great forum; Ive tried searching but can't quite find what I'm looking for. I'm about to start the secondary fermentation of a woodfordes wherry kit. Now it just says to add to add 2.5oz of sugar but doesn't specify which type.

Reading around it seems as though corn sugar/dextrose is commonly used and would be appropriate, is this right? Is this the same stuff that I would get in a healthfood or workout/fitness shop?

Thanks in advance

Corn sugar probably would be a good bet. As far as buying it at a health food store, I have no idea. I get mine at my Homebrew shop.

If you're not in a hurry, or if you don't live close to any of these locations , you could order online.

welcome to homebrew talk...

corn sugar is what is normally used to prime for bottling or boosting alcohol content...

however, is it saying to add the sugar to the secondary?

Table sugar(cane) will work fine. There's not a big enough quantity to affect your beer one way or another.
That's probably for you to mix in when bottling, not going into secondary. Good luck with the beer; that kit has some great reviews

-OCD

I agree that 2.5 oz sounds more like the amount you would use to bottle (though perhaps a bit low depending on how much carbonation you want). If you're adding only 2.5 oz of fermentable sugar to a 5 gallon batch in secondary all you'll end up doing is raising your ABV by 1/10th of 1%

Latest posts

Back